Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

3 Pressure Tests 2 Radiators 1 Thermostat And Wtf?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was originally overheating so I check the thermostat and it needed replaced so I put a nice new OEM one in there. Two weeks down the road the car overheats again and I noticed the radiator looked like it was eating itself and would not except fluids because it become clogged and corroded so I replaced that one with a shiny brand new one. I have performed 3 pressure tests on the vehicle trying to see if there is a leak anywhere in any of the lines and none of them drop pressure. I also checked to see if the head gasket was cracked and thankfully not so. I am now officially out of ideas why the damn thing is overheating so if anyone can clue me in please let me know.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 PM

there's one really good think to check is coolant temperature sensor
i had that problem on some other car that i was repairing it only needed CT sensor
i was throwing wrong temp to the cluster gauge ;0) so you better check this one..
here's the main idea where this sensor located at :

hope it helps
Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Thanks, I'll make sure to check that out tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Any chance the water pump is dead? I've had to replace a 97 Tib water pump before because the thermo and rad weren't fixing the probs. Horrrrrrrrible install though, its about as bad as it gets without pulling the motor.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Using the right fluid?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Fluid I'm using is correct, the water pump shouldn't be dead but I'm not a 100% on that and the reservoir seems to suck fluid like a damn sivv.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 PM

You said your resevior is sucking up fluid? Is that the fluid you are adding is going into the radiator or that the resevior is sucking the fluid from radiator? If the radiator is sucking up everything from the resevior then you either have a leak somewhere, blown/cracked head gasket, or cracked block. If the resevior is pulling fluid from the radiator then sounds like a clog somewhere or what everyone has already said.

O' you haven't pulled your head lately have you? Any colors in the exaust? Do you see anything leaking when the car has warmed up?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:13 AM

QUOTE (green_machine @ Apr 12 2007, 05:29 AM)
You said your resevior is sucking up fluid? Is that the fluid you are adding is going into the radiator or that the resevior is sucking the fluid from radiator? If the radiator is sucking up everything from the resevior then you either have a leak somewhere, blown/cracked head gasket, or cracked block. If the resevior is pulling fluid from the radiator then sounds like a clog somewhere or what everyone has already said.

O' you haven't pulled your head lately have you? Any colors in the exaust? Do you see anything leaking when the car has warmed up?

The fluid I add I place in the resavoir lasts for about 45 mins then it's bone dry. As I mentioned I did check the head gasket and there are no cracks or leaks found there. Nothing is leaking from the exhaust or anywhere under the engine block. Like I said I also ran 3 pressure tests on it and there is not a drop of pressure anywhere. If the radiator is sucking all the fluid from the res I'm not sure why because the radiator fluids are topped off where they are supposed to be.