Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2nd Gear Problem

Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got a problem with my car when i shift into 2nd gear... ill push the clutch to the floor and try to put it in 2nd and no matter how slow i do it, itll still grind. but it only does it when its a cold start and my first shift into 2nd. any other time i shift into 2nd its fine. any ideas what the problem could be?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:33 AM

Sounds like the gear gets seized when it's too cold. How long ago was the transmition fluid changed?

That could be it, I don't really know tho...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Could be your synchros might be going. I just put some redline mt-90 in my tranny and it made a huge difference with the ease of shifting. My tranny was grinding alot too and it all but took care of the problem.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ word. New tranny fluid = better shifting performance.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yeah my second gear grinds when not shifted at the right time. usually if you give the gas an extra kick it goes in directly but most of the time it's uncertain and you have to "stuff" the gear in. do i have to go through a tranny fluid flush or just add new fluid?

i think it's the synchros because 1st gear won't go in until near stop... f*ck that synchro sh*t in my dad's VW in europe that thing is simple and sweet. These Hyundai transmissions are cheap and hopeless.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 AM

I have to admit that I am also disappointed with the Tiburon's transmission. When I'm on vacation in Portugal, I always rent a car (I now bought a used 93 citroen, though, for vacation time :-). Anyway, I can easily go from a 2nd to a first at 30km/h or even at 40km/h if I really want the power. That was one of the first things I noticed about my Tiburon soon after buying it: I can only go from a 2nd to a 1st only if I'm stopped or less than like 20km/h. Going at 20km/h, or even slightly less, I can shift to a first, but it won't go right away, I have to gently push it into a first and hold it there for like, 3 seconds, until finally it will slide right in. The reason for this is because the gear synchro won't let you put it into 1st because the gears are too short. So it's not really an indication that your synchros are going. As far as I know, everyone's tib has this problem of shifting into 1st above 10km/h.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:58 AM

[quote name='HyundaiKitCoupe' date='Feb 1 2008, 06:17 AM' post='344582']
yeah my second gear grinds when not shifted at the right time. usually if you give the gas an extra kick it goes in directly but most of the time it's uncertain and you have to "stuff" the gear in. do i have to go through a tranny fluid flush or just add new fluid?

Just do a tranny fluid change. It's easier than doing your oil. Look around on the site and you will get lots of tips and also check on hmaservice for really nice diagrams of what you need to do. It's definitely worth it.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I changed my fluid for Royal Purple, didn't notice any difference. Maybe it was already changed by the dealership at the 90k service, I don't know. I'm gonna try redline next. My 2nd gear grinds if I shift at high rpms, and it's hard to shift all the time (I use the stock knob with the extender on the ARK shifter, otherwise it's too damn hard to shift gears..).

Not being able to downshift into 1st is I think a feature - they made it so that you don't put it in 1st by mistake instead of 3rd when downshifting (that could ruin your engine). If you rev-match - put it in neutral, let go of the clutch, give gas, then shift into 1st - it should work.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:13 AM

I noticed when i was researching for what fluid to use Redline seemed to be the one to go with. I have the APE shifter bushings and the ARK STS and now with the new fluid my car seems to be completely different to shift , especially when it's cold. I too had the grind at high RPM's and haven't had it happen to me once since the change smile.gif .
Old 02-02-2008, 07:17 AM

yeah, i changed the fluid it seems to have helped for now. thanks guys