Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2001 Cmp Sensor And Evap Purge Valve Codes Gotta Get Fixed

Old 06-27-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well let me start by sayin its a new car to me but many issues. I cant get get inspected until there is no check engine light on. I am getting code P0343 camshaft position sensor A bank 1 , high out put. The other code is P0444 evap purge valve , valve open. So what i need is voltages for running and non-running conitions of the sensors (from backprobing) on a tiburon, as well as from the ECU so so clips may have to be tooken off.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

There is only one cam position sensor. The EVAP valves are simple on/off solenoids if I recall correctly, and they have been discussed here at length in various threads, as well as the ways to disable the entire EVAP system. The Advanced Search feature here is your friend.

You might also be well advised to go to www.hmaservice.com and login using the username kitfoxer, password rg==

Then go digging. You'll find the Hyundai shop and electronic troubleshooting manuals there, as well as all their tech. service bulletins.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 AM

Ive searched the forums but nobody has really verified the actual voltage. There were some people saying 8 to 9 volts and
others saying 5 volts not to mention the people saying its supposed to be 12 volts.

So i ask myself which is it really, and is it really the truth. I cant purchase a book so i purchased alldata and its just as good as the hyadai shop and electronic troubleshooting manua. lm hinda stumped on the right answer here so any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

1) Please don't quote the last post. Use the Add Reply or Fast Reply buttons instead.

2) Your response isn't clear . . . did you go to hyundaitechinfo.com or webtech and look around? Sometimes when searching on the forum doesn't give you the answer, you need to do your own original research. Then you tell us and the next guy can find it in a search! laugh.gif

P.S. you might have more people interested in helping you with your problem if you take the extra 30 seconds and properly spell words like "manual" and "Hyundai," and a few more apostrophes wouldn't hurt either. If you can't be bothered to properly form a sentence on the keyboard . . . .
Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 PM

Ok sorry didnt realize about the quick reply. But what an attitude sorry for forgetting about the U in HYAUNDAI and sorry about missspelling's of manual but iza just forget when im typin sir enything else there sir without a tiburon!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

It's essentially the same car with different exterior skin and a more family-friendly number of doors. Shall I stir the pot and say that hyundaitechinfo uses chassis code RD for my car in the drop-down model selector? Of course, if you don't want help from someone with a car slightly different to yours, I could always stop trying to be helpful. yesno.gif
Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Here is the info you requested.

This info is for the 2001 Tiburon.

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor
Camshaft position sensor testing requires use of scan tool or lab scope. See related DTC in appropriate
SELF-DIAGNOSTICS article. CMP sensor signal is a 0-5 volt square wave. If CMP sensor does not operate
properly, the ECM cannot control sequential fuel injection causing engine to stall, operate irregularly at idle, or
fail to accelerate normally.

EVAP Purge Control Solenoid Valve
Turn ignition off. Disconnect EVAP purge control solenoid valve harness connector. Measure resistance
between solenoid valve terminals. If resistance is 24.5-27.5 ohms at 68°F (20°C), go to next step. If
resistance is not as specified, replace EVAP purge control solenoid valve.
Disconnect Black, Red-striped vacuum hose. Connect a vacuum pump, and apply vacuum. Using a fused
jumper wire, apply battery voltage and ground to solenoid valve terminals. When solenoid valve is
energized, vacuum should not hold. When solenoid valve is not energized, vacuum should hold. If EVAP
purge control solenoid valve operates as specified, go to next step. Replace EVAP purge control solenoid
valve if it does not operate as specified.
Connect a vacuum gauge to Black, Red-striped vacuum hose. Start engine and allow to idle at a
temperature of 176-203°F (80-95°C). Increase and decrease engine speed while monitoring manifold
vacuum. As engine speed changes, vacuum should stay constant. If no vacuum is detected or very little,
clean vacuum port and/or replace Black, Red-striped vacuum hose.
Two-Way Valve
Apply vacuum to inlet side and then to outlet side of two-way valve. Vacuum applied to inlet side of two-way
valve should hold. Vacuum applied to outlet side of two-way valve should not hold. Replace two-way valve if
operation is not as specified.

This info came from the Mitchell Service manual for the 2001 Tiburon.

Hope that helps you fix your issues.

cool.gif
Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Krazy, would you happen to have said manual in paper form? Just curious (until something strange happens).
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

No, just a bunch of PDF's from when I had a subscription to the online manual @ http://www.eautorepair.net/.

I had the subscription for my Camaro and added the Tiburon for like $7 for a weeks worth of online access to the manual and just browsed through and printed all the sections I found useful to PDF's. I like it since they are a little different than the HMA Service website and its nice being able to reference 2 different manuals when needed.

Is there something specific your are looking for?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Both of those codes, under normal conditions, would be very difficult to isolate with a multimeter. The Evap and CPS sensors are both pulsed outputs. I've replaced my CPS sensor before, it's very easy and takes 5 minutes. You can probly get one from a junk yard for very cheap.

As for the Evap code, have you done any modifications recently? That code can also be triggered from a loose gas cap.