Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2000 Tiburon Broken Timing Belt

Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is needed to fix, will i need just new heads? or do i also need the block? any info is greatly appreciated...
Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It depends on what's broken. You'll need a new timing belt and it's a good idea to change the water pump too. If your pistons damaged the valves, you'll need new valves, You might need new pistons, if the valves broke, you might need a new block. There's no single soloution except buy a new engine. It's easier and cheaper to pull the entire block and drop a low milage used 2.0 in there from a junk yard.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Unless it broke while the motor WASN'T running... chances are you are going to have some bend valves at the LEAST.

If you heard it snap at a higher RPM, you might have some holes in your pistons.

Only way to find out is to take the head off and investigate the damage...

+1 on pickin one up from a junk yard. Unless you want to rebuild it, which in the end will probably cost you more than a low-mid milage motor INSTALLED.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 AM

QUOTE (DTN @ Jun 8 2008, 03:58 AM)
It depends on what's broken. You'll need a new timing belt and it's a good idea to change the water pump too. If your pistons damaged the valves, you'll need new valves, You might need new pistons, if the valves broke, you might need a new block. There's no single soloution except buy a new engine. It's easier and cheaper to pull the entire block and drop a low milage used 2.0 in there from a junk yard.

QUOTE (Sea-Ray Tech @ Jun 9 2008, 12:28 AM)
Unless it broke while the motor WASN'T running... chances are you are going to have some bend valves at the LEAST.

If you heard it snap at a higher RPM, you might have some holes in your pistons.

Only way to find out is to take the head off and investigate the damage...

+1 on pickin one up from a junk yard. Unless you want to rebuild it, which in the end will probably cost you more than a low-mid milage motor INSTALLED.

thanks guys
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Let us know what you find if you open the engine.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Ok here we go. To be nice please dont quote whole posts above yours, its just polite and the mods think its a swell idea as well.

Your new so ill give you what will probably become a bible for ya. Just from reading what everyone has said, start by calling around and seeing if you can get a new motor for the just in case you did decide to let your valve and pistons occupy the same space at the same time.

If you plan on changing the belt after inspection here are some good reads:

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=16745

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=25513

Lastly:
TO ANYONE WHO CAN REMEMBER, there was a thread on here with pics of what an engine beyond repair looks like. It had pictures of both the head and the pistons. I spend over an hour trying to find it. please post the link here if you know what one im talking about.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

^^don't know where that thread is but I'm going to be tearing mine apart here real soon and can take lots of pictures. It can act as a replacement! LOL

89tracerman, under what circumstances was the engine under when the timing belt broke?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Traceman, I understand your new but please don't quote the post above yours. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 PM

Patreezy i would say about 3000K RPM's on the freeway.

and mods how do i go about getting a name change, i got this account about 3 years ago.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I'll put in a request for you. It's only done by staff voting. We'll let you know.