Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2.25" header back exhaust...

Old 02-16-2003, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.25" header back exhaust...

This question goes out to those of you that have done major exhaust system overhauls.
I plan on getting the 4-1 headers from CNK, installing a 2.25" high-flow cat from Magnaflow, and running 2.25", mandrel bent, stainless steel pipe back to a 5" x 8" oval Magnaflow muffler.
Wouldn't a setup like this actually reduce some of the stress on the engine? Since it will use less power to evacuate exhaust gases, and put more power to the wheels... I'm just hoping that when I get this done, I not going to end up damaging something major due to extensive alterations. I just need someone with experience to put my mind at ease.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

No, you won't "damage" anything with that setup. No worries.

[ February 17, 2003, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 02-18-2003, 12:18 AM

It might be a bit loud though. I recommend a resonator between your cat/muffler. I couldn't stand it any longer when i did my exhaust (SR421, Carsound Cat, 2.25" mandrel pipe, Dual DTM muffler) That was the setup i had before the resonator. The sound @ idle was great but at WOT and dethrottle the sound texture as very choppy and kinda ricey. So i installed this 24" dual chambered perforated glass pack as a resonator and DUDE this @*$! SOUNDS HOT. No longer ricey, especially when the exhaust is cold and is silky smoooooth from idle to redline. I'm sure i lost a few ponies but it is well worth the quality in sound and freakin drivability. That and the cops don't bother me (not that they did before its just i got lucky suicide ).
Old 02-18-2003, 01:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai tiburon

I have the same setup as KoreanDude and i love it with the exception of chronic o2 sensor/check engine light problems due to extending the o2 wires. It would be much nicer if we could get a company to make extended wires for us.

Just my .02

JD
Old 02-18-2003, 11:11 PM

Regarding the O2 sensor wires, is there not a proper way to extend them to a desired spot after the cat so that a CEL will not be a concern?
I'm wondering then, perhaps I should run with 2.5" pipe, since a larger diameter will baffle the sound a little better.
What kind of muffler/tip combination are you guys using? I wonder if that plays a big role or not? The muffler I choose is a Magnaflow 5" x 8" oval with a double wall tip... I was hoping it would be a nice deep tone, and not too loud. If I have to add a resonator though, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

[ February 19, 2003, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: ELANTRAVISION ]
Old 02-19-2003, 04:14 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Hey Koreandude, since you didnt like the loudness without the resonator, what about using the stock resonator, the diameter is smaller then a 2.5, but would it baffle the sound a little?
Old 02-19-2003, 06:07 AM
Jon

Yeh it would and it would restrict the flow a hell of a lot more than the glass pack. Start doing that sort of thing and you might as well stick with the original system.