Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

160 whp

Old 04-30-2003, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160 whp

what kind of mods do i need to get for a 160whp rating on a tiburon 1st gen?

Ive got the usual things, catback exhaust, CAI, and thinking bout getting headers, what else 2 i need?
PS i want to stay NA

[ May 09, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Decker ]
Old 04-30-2003, 05:17 AM

Some goods cams, higher comp pistons(think you can get them,lighter fly wheel, lighter pully, port and polished head, fpr, I am sure RED going to give you alot more info than me. I said screw it and went f/i and I am still not at 160 at the wheels yet.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:50 AM
Red

160 wheel horsepower is still a fairly lofty goal for a normally aspirated Tiburon... The BETA series of motors that come with the Tib and Elantra are just not built to pump out maximum N/A horsepower...

That being said, you could do something along these lines:

A good quality true cold-air intake, and I'm not referring to a price tag either. You can buy a horrible CAI for $200, and you can build a good CAI for $55 in parts.

An enlarged throttlebody, you've got a few options for 58, 60 and 65 aftermarket parts.

You also need to open up the intake manifold; in order to do this, you'll need to take it to a machine shop. They will need to port out the runners... After that, send it to Extrude Hone for some cleaning work.

The cylinder head needs to come out and should be WELL ported, being careful on the exhaust side not to get too crazy. The total gain on the cylinder head will be very little, but that little bit does count.

Cams I'm sure need to go in there, but we have so little reputable (and verifiable) information on N/A cams that I can't suggest a specific brand.

Headers are a given, 4-1 equal length (HVE makes a set) if you want the highest horsepower numbers.

2.5" free flowing catalyst, and a fully rebuilt 2.5" exhaust are a given as well. Mandrel bends only, no cheap crush or smooth bent stuff. I'm not sure that there is actually an 'exhaust kit' out there that meets these requirements.

Some sort of piggyback engine management is necessary as well. The local favorite is an Apexi S-AFC unit; if you're aiming for the most power possible, pick up an S-ITC unit as well. Contrary to popular belief, Tiburons and Elantras run TOO RICH from the factory and you must reduce the fuel in order for it to create maximum power -- hence the AFC. The ignition timing tables could perhaps use some tweakage if you're running 93 octane fuel -- hence the ITC.

That may not get you to 160 wheel horsepower, but it might get you close. That's about all you're going to get cheaply... Anything further will require going to a radical intake manifold (several hundred dollars) and reworking the actual motor (almost a thousand dollars if you don't know how to do piston swaps yourself)
Old 04-30-2003, 09:54 AM

Hey red, how will this do as a daily driver?

I think 160 whp n/a is a tall order, and very tall for a daily driver.

Personally hoping to hit 140+ whp n/a... after that if a can swing it i'd like to go with a CNK turbo setup.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Moving to ENGINE forum flaming_
Old 04-30-2003, 08:26 PM

uz, didnt you say you had ordered a CNK turbo kit ?!?!
Old 04-30-2003, 08:49 PM

Yep thats gonna be used 4 my little project, stripped down gen 2 (which i have 2 save up 4!), gen1 has 2 remain NA cos the fiance wants it lol
Old 04-30-2003, 10:40 PM

I'm unofficially at 153 HP, verified by several G-tech runs (sorry, no dyno). The weight was accurate each time and I used the "official loss" of the drivetrain that we talked about here (can't remember it off the top of my head).

So I'd guess I'm at 145 to 155.

My mods, front to back:
Homemade CAI using a Ractive heat shield air filter and flexible piping w/ heat wrap.
Onpol-special Overbored TB with matched and ported intake manifold
NGK V-Power copper spark plugs
Pacesetter Monza cat-back exhaust (soon to be replaced for the turbo)
DSM (Eclipse GSX) fuel pump (for turbo, but it's in there now).

The car is a '97 rev. A 1.8L manual.

If my HP estimate is right, I could be around 160 with a set of headers; but I'm scrapping all that for a turbo when I can a welder lined up and some more parts ordered.

Hope that helps you. As usual, your milage may vary. smile.gif

AC
Old 05-01-2003, 12:15 AM

Someone needs to take a chance on those SR cams. I may once I start working on my car again.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:11 AM

That would be some thing worth doing since no one knows what real gains we are looking at. I'm working on saving some money, not sure if for rims or cams....