Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

1.8 Cam Swap Questions

Old 02-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 01 tiburon and just ordered a 1.8 cam from kspec. How much increase in power can i expect and it says it is like bumping the timing 6 degrees? Does this mean i have to run higher octane gas? Any questions or comments please feel free to ask or let us know. I am a noob and I dont know much about the Tibs but trying to learn! Thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Welcome to RDT.

Im going to help ya out here, we have a TON of information here so ill show you how to use the search function.

Look in the upper right and click on the search and then type with quotes "cam swap". This is one of the better mods for the tib.

After you have searched and done your reading and have questions post them and someone will be glad to help.

One last thing, most things you search for you will want to use quotes.

Here is the search i came out with for "cam swap"

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=Sea...#092;&st=25
Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Kspec?

Ouch.

Let us know if your items ever arrive.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 PM

if it doesnt arrive, i have one for sale for 80.00 usd fing02.gif
Old 02-06-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks for answering my question!! haha shit. I would think it harder to type all that than to just answer what i asked. I know how to use search. And I did still have a ? and asked it. But i guess you dont have a answer thanks anyways i will figure it out when it gets installed i guess
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You will be fine with regular gas. No worries
Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 PM

Thank you BullFrog for your help. Sorry I came off as an ass. I am now scared of all the horror stories of the cam install but still ready to jump in head first!!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Just use a really good torque wrench (hand one with clicking I found worked well, DON'T use the air powered one...) on the journal bolts (standard bolts for the cam) and be sure to tighten them all back down evenly. Doing it evenly prevents you from putting any undue stress on any bolt in particular, and also prevents you from squishing one side or valve or the other. If I remember right, i was able to finger-tighten all the bolts nearly all the way. It wasn't until the last little bit that I used a wrench, and then was very gentle with that too. Yes they're strong bolts, but they really do seem brittle, so be super gentle.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 AM

Sweet! TY. I have a habit of over tightening everything. I usually do most of the work where a extra hand is nessesary at my friends local auto shop. He has all the tools you'll ever need and knows alot about cars. He keeps telling me that if the head guy gets the head for work he should be the one to put the cam in!! But im not able to work on my own stuff there and feel more secure if im hands on so i hope i dont get the car fixed then me be the one screw it all up!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Is he really your friend if he will not let you use his tools to work on your own car? Sounds like your saying "Oh you can borrow my toolbox but you cant use the tools inside, I can be the only one to use them".