DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Window Tint Laws

Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 elantra, Soon to be beta swapped 01 lc hatch

Oh well I'm going dark legal or not I'll pay the ticket. A lot of people (ricers) have theirs black completely black and no one gets pulled over. I think I'm gonna go lighter up front than in the rear just for safety's sake.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

Around here cops usally dont pull people over for the tint, but if you get ticketed for speeding or something they will tack on the illegal tint.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slyderdai @ Jun 8 2009, 08:22 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>Oh well I'm going dark legal or not I'll pay the ticket. A lot of people (ricers) have theirs black completely black and no one gets pulled over. I think I'm gonna go lighter up front than in the rear just for safety's sake.</div>
You could try what I was planning. Take a picture of your car before you tint. If you happen to get stopped take the pics into court as "proof" you took the tint out.
<u>Side note:</u>This is considered perjury (IIRC a federal offence), and in no way do I endorse taking my advice!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tibbykid91 @ Jun 8 2009, 08:28 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>Around here cops usally dont pull people over for the tint, but if you get ticketed for speeding or something they will tack on the illegal tint.</div>
I'm 26 with long hair. Cops are always looking to pull me cause they think it'll be an easy drug bust (I've been stopped & searched for the <u>dumbest</u> crap, including tint).
Old 06-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 98 Hyundai Accent X3

I live in Washington and am close that I commute to Oregon. For both it is 35% aswell. With Washington possibly be as low as 30%.
I called a tinting place the other day to ask. He says that yes 35% seems to be the max lowest, but because there are many brands of tinting, that at least Washington will allow a 5% +/- in shading. I'll be getting some tint in a month or so.

If a cop stops you for tint, what they will do is shine there light through the window on a certain piece of paper they carry. And they can gauge the shade from that I guess. it tells them how much light is coming through somehow. at least this is what I have heard. I could be wrong.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GDAccent @ Jun 15 2009, 02:02 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>I live in Washington and am close that I commute to Oregon. For both it is 35% aswell. With Washington possibly be as low as 30%.
I called a tinting place the other day to ask. He says that yes 35% seems to be the max lowest, but because there are many brands of tinting, that at least Washington will allow a 5% +/- in shading. I'll be getting some tint in a month or so.

If a cop stops you for tint, what they will do is shine there light through the window on a certain piece of paper they carry. And they can gauge the shade from that I guess. it tells them how much light is coming through somehow. at least this is what I have heard. I could be wrong.</div>

When I got stopped they useed this little box with a slit in the side big enough to slide on the window. I wondered how they did windows that don't roll down.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:56 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent GS

My window tint is 5% on the back three windows and 50% on the front two. I get pulled over all the time but just warnings. cool.gif
Old 07-15-2009, 12:50 AM

Vehicle: 98 Hyundai Accent X3

Got windows tinted the other day. I'm a little darker than 35%, which could be considered 25-30% and is carbon film. Which is suppose to be real durable against most to the window. But standing back from it, you can still see in, and still make out the colors I have been doing my interior with. Red. I looked at the 35% and was going to have it on the drivers and pass doors with the backs 25%. They were out of the 35% to do the doors. So I opted to go 25% all around. The 35% was really light and in that case my as well not have tinted. But I am happy with the tint job, PRO work.

Damn, photobucket is down now so I can add a pic to show. I'll add it when I can.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM

Got mine done today. 35% front 20% rear. Looks great, but over the limit, I'll post pics too. When I can get my hands on a camera.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

i originally wanted 35% on the front windows and 20% on the back windows however the guy tinting my windows convinced me to get 35% on the sides and get 5% limo tint on the rear window. It makes the whole car look darker and if i get pulled over my side window tint will pass every time.

1 benefit - at night, i never have to adjust my rear view mirror due to bright headlights

1 down fall - i can't see at all when I reverse at night. im getting brighter taillights soon so it wont effect me much longer.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

I got 30%-35% carbon film on all windows. Its over the limit here in NC but still inside the +/-, so im good.