DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Touch Up Painting - Caliper Painting

Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to "the paint store" yesterday and purchased a bottle of spray paint because my door handle started chipping away..

Should I get a hand sander or a sheet of sandpaper before?

Should I take the handle off completely or just use some masking tape and surround the handle?

Would one primer work for both the plastic handle and the steel caliper?

For the Caliper's..

What kind of heat paint is suggested that isn't over 30 bucks..

Old 04-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Well, if you're lazy, I would say mask off the surrounding area around the handle, sand it down smooth, and then spray it. If you're not lazy, go ahead and take teh handle off.

As far as caliper paint, VHT is supposed to be good. Duplicolor is always my choice though. I used Duplicolor metalcast which is a 2 step process on mine.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM

I plan on priming it.. That is a good idea correct? That is what the guy at the store suggested.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Yeah I would suggest sanding the entire handle, then priming it with filler primer, which will fill in minor scratches. Then sand it smooth, and spray it with color. Duplicolor makes touch up paint, you may be able to find the exact OEM color.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 PM

yeah it is the exact color I checked what it said on the car first..
Old 04-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

i know i need to do some work on my car as far as touch up paint...but can't find the exact color of paint for my

Tropical green from factory
Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM

Touch up paint also isn't going to match 100% even if it is OEM due to fading from the sun.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

moving to brakes/wheels/tires

the BEST way to do it is sand the grime/rust off. then scrub it down using brake cleaner. then buy the Duplicolor hi temp brake paint with a paint bucket, dipstick, and brush. i used this for precision, it holds better, and no mess. do each bracket inside and out, each wheel at a time. let dry, then add more layers if you're really passionate about it.

i even added hyundai vinyl and painted white over the letters. looks good and holds. here you go the one i used: $15.99 and it's great : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brake-Calip...sspagenameZWDVW
Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

For the calipers, go to AutoZone and buy their little caliper paint box. Comes with the brush, paint, whatever you need to do them.
Take your wheels off, brush the calipers with a wire brush, then wipe it down with alcohol or something (maybe it comes with it's own cleaner?) and then paint it. Takes about 3 coats per caliper, but it comes out real nice.
Brushing it with the kit is way much easier than trying to mask and spray or removing the calipers and spraying or whatever. I highly recommend doing it this way.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM

When I painted my calipers I just used some duplicolour engine paint I had and sprayed 2 coats on each caliper and it turned out fine. I not too picky anyways, a nd I have stock wheels so it's not like they show all that mu ch.Â