DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Side-view Mirror Rattle Fix

Old 12-20-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

This DIY goes along with the rear-view mirror rattle fix we have.

Materials:

- Sound deadening
- 10mm socket and wrench
- screwdriver
- razorblade

Steps:

1. Remove door panel and triangular panel on inside of side-view mirror.

2. Remove the bolts, screws, and unplug the harness...

3. Lay down deadening on both sides of the metal that the mirror bolts on and make cut-outs for the things that will have to go back through. Its ok if the cutouts are not perfect.

4. On to the mirror. On the bottom, unscrew the screws circled...

5. When the screws are out, DO NOT yank the peices apart. As you can see in this picture, there is a bundle of wires under a little clamp that you need to push into the open to get slack...

6. Lay down deadening on this peice as well. You will have to make some cuts on this too, but it is good to have the screw go through some of the deadening. It will make it hold better, and vibrate less...

7. Put everything back together and screw/bolt right through the deadening. Just be careful. I've noticed that putting on bolts through deadening gives you a tendency to overtighten, and ive snapped a couple of bolts elsewhere. owned.gif I would recommend just using a hand driver with the sockets if you have one.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 5-door

How can you tell if a rattle is coming from the mirror?

My Elantra seems to have a rattle in the area of the right side mirror, although I hadn't thought of the mirror as the cause until I saw this DIY. Is there way to tell definitively that the mirror is the problem?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

you could follow this DIY and see if it stops... shrug.gif

nice write-up tibby01, what? staring at your left-over sound deadening thinkin "such a waste, I will find a use for you..."
Old 01-15-2006, 06:57 PM

I could try that, but sometimes in taking things apart more rattles appear. I'm just trying to see if there is a definitive way to figure it out before tearing stuff apart.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Easiest way to find a rattle is to...

1. Note the instances it happens (Only at 3500 RPM's, from the center upper dash area on a Tib is actually rattling from the rear view mirror).

2. Recreate those factors from different areas of the car (Have a friend drive if it's on the passenger side and move your head around to triangulate the sound).

3. The loose part or assembly, try just putting a bit of pressure on it when recreating the "Rattle Factors" and see if it goes away.

If so, it's loose and you can tighten it up, or you can place some foam, rubber, gasket material, dynomat, ect, in between the rattling areas to get rid of it. If not, repeat the other steps and FIND THAT RATTLE!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:16 AM

Yeah, I've done most of that, which is why the passenger mirror is starting to sound like a possibility (since you can't lean on it with the windows up). The rattle that this DIY corrects: is it kind of a tick-tick-tickety-tick noise heard due to rough pavement? Cuz that's the best description I can come up with for the noise.

Maybe I'll just try the DIY and .

cool.gif