DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

RSide Advanced S. Shifter, SHORTER Shifter DIY

Old 04-20-2004, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay guys, for those of you, like me, that wanted the shifter as short as possible, I've got a way to drop it about another 1/3 inch.

Simple to do, just don't hurt yourself.

First, take off the upper half of the SS shaft, leave the locknut on.

Move the locknut all the way to the end of the threaded shaft like in the picture below.

With the bottom of the nut even with the bottom of the shaft, mark a line across the top of the nut where it meets the shaft with a permanent marker. After it dries, move the nut all the way to the top of the shaft.

With a dremel or RTX style tool, cut along the line until you are about 40% thru, turn the shaft and cut again, until there is a small part in the very center holding the portion you are cutting off. Smack the edge of the end of the shaft against concrete and it'll pop right off, not injuring anyone. Now, file the end to make it smooth. Turn the nut all the way off of the shaft *This will clean the threads on the way off*.

Install the shaft/knob combo without the nut back in the lower portion of the SS, tighten down hand tight.

That's it folks, now it's even lower and my RSIDE logo is lined up on mine now. Fantazmic!

This will not work if you don't cut the nut width's portion off the bottom, I did try that. Now your RSA is as short as you can get it with my knowledge, it works great and feels even better as it doesn't sit as far from you now, but lower too.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:28 PM

Default Underdrive Pulley

very very nice mod redz... will take this into consideration when i get mine laugh.gif

so the R-Side logo on top is crooked when its not cut like that... haha that sux

EDIT: I wanna see some pics when you get the console and everything put back together... i want to see how the shift boot looks and stuff, thanks man
Old 04-20-2004, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It was crooked a bit on mine, but I don't know about everyone else.

Yeah yeah yeah, when it's back together, there will be pics.

Heh...