DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Rd1 -> Rd2 Dash Conversion

Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Problem</span>
You want to replace your RD1 instrument bezel, switches, and cluster with the RD2. I'm assuming that you already have all of your RD1 bezel removed and that you have your RD2 bezel ready to be put in place.

Following are the RD2 dashboard pieces that we will be putting into our RD1.

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Bezel</span>
The huge trim piece where all your switches (fog, rear wipers/washers, cruise, defroster) are attached to, as well as your HVAC. This interior trim piece fits into the RD1 without modification.

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Cluster</span>
If you connect your RD2 cluster, it will work almost perfectly. The airbag light, though, will not light up, should your airbag system alert you of a failure.

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Bezel Switches</span>
The fog, rear wipers/washers, cruise, defroster, and hazard switches, as well as the clock, all have the same connectors as the RD1. The clock and hazard switch are straight plug-and-play between the RD2 and the RD1. Simply connect RD1 connectors into these, and they'll work 100%. However, do not attempt to connect your RD1 connectors to any of the other switches (fog, rear wipers/washers, cruise, defroster), or you will have caused a fire hazard. You'd damage your RD1 main wiring harness.

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Solutions</span>

Let's take a look at how to fix connection problems with the Cluster, HVAC, and Bezel Switches ...

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Cluster</span>
I created a thread, in Sept/08, that you can read for further explanation regarding how to fix the airbag lighting issue with the RD2 cluster. Basically, if you trace the circuit at the back of the RD2 cluster, it doesn't match the RD1 connector on the main wiring harness. To fix this, look at the back of your RD2 gauge cluster. There's a screw just above airbag light bulb. Just screw a wire there, and somehow wedge it to the bottom terminal of the lightbulb. Now the airbag light will go on if there's ever something wrong w/ the airbag system.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...8&hl=airbag

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">
Bezel Switches</span>

Ok, getting all of your RD2 switches to actually function in your RD1 is not hard, but is tedious and requires attention; you can easily make mistakes.

A couple of members here took a more drastic approach. They actually gutted the dash/crash-pad and replaced their RD1 main wiring harness with an RD2 harness. This is the best approach in ensuring that all RD2 switches function as designed, in the RD1. The problem is that this is a laborious task, very, very time-consuming, and requires a lot of investigation of wires and their function.

My approach is different. Basically, each RD1 connector's wires need to be sorted into different positions so that they connect to the proper locations at the back of each RD2 switch. The function of each wire in the RD1 and the RD2 are the same, just in different locations. I did all of the investigation of each wire's function, at the back of each RD1 switch, so I can tell you the exact mapping of each RD1 wire to RD2 connector.

Fog Light

This is a picture of the back of my RD1 connector, with each wire's function, labeled.

[attachment=947:fog_RD1_...onnector.JPG]

This is a picture of the back of the RD2 fog light switch. Again, the function of each pin at the back of the switch, is labeled.

[attachment=948:fog_RD2_...f_switch.JPG]

Knowing this information, we can map each wire on the RD1 fog-light switch, to the same function of whichever pin on the RD2 switch.

Cruise Control Switch
This is an image of the back of the RD1 connector, with each wire's function, labeled.

[attachment=943:cruise_R...onnector.jpg]

This is an image of the back of the RD2 cruise control switch, with the function of each pin, labeled. Just make sure that each RD1 wire is connected to the RD2s' pin with the associated function.

[attachment=944:cruise_R...f_switch.jpg]

Defroster Switch
This is an image of the back of the RD1 connector, with each wire's function, labeled.

[attachment=945:defroste...onnector.jpg]

This is an image of the back of the RD2 defroster switch, with the function of each pin, labeled. Just make sure that each RD1 wire is connected to the RD2s' pin with the associated function.

[attachment=946:defroste...f_switch.jpg]

Rear Wiper/Washer Switch

[attachment=949:rear_wip...onnector.jpg]

This is a drawing of the back of the RD2 rear wiper/washer switch, with the function of each pin, labeled. Just make sure that each RD1 wire is connected to the RD2s' pin with the associated function. I didn't take a picture of the back of this switch, but this drawing should be pretty clear.

Attachment 646

Note that I could not get the intermittent wiper functionality of the RD2 switch to work.

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Time</span>
With the mapping of each RD1 wire to each RD2 switch already done for you, above, I suspect this should take roughly 10 - 15 hours with testing, re-mapping of wires + solder, and putting back dash pieces.

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Finished Product</span>

Here are two day-time images of the final product (I will need to upload night-time shots as well):

Attachment 647

Attachment 648
Old 07-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Very Nice bro. fing02.gif

Did you do the fog light switch mod while you had everything apart?
(so you can turn your fogs on with parking lights instead of low beams)
Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Thanks, dude! cool.gif I'm gonna post a night-shot shortly too wink1.gif

No, I didn't do the fog light switch mod. I leave my fog light switch on all the time.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Does anyone know if you NEED to get an RD2 cluster? Can't you just use your RD1 cluster? Or does it not fit well in the RD2 dash?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

due to me just finding a request to have this put in the list, it is said, DONE!

sorry for the amount of time it took to get there in the list fury.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:23 PM

^^ No worries, Ursons. Thanks, dude!! fing02.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Aug 19 2009, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Does anyone know if you NEED to get an RD2 cluster? Can't you just use your RD1 cluster? Or does it not fit well in the RD2 dash?</div>

Dude, I was on vacation from Aug 15, and out of the country. Just got back almost a week ago, or so. No, you do NOT need to get an RD2 gauge cluster. You CAN use your RD1 cluster and it will fit just fine. I only got the RD2 cluster because I got the Speedhut gauge face which wouldn't have perfect fitment if installed on the RD1 cluster (something about the RD1 gauge lights not being properly aligned with the gauge face).
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Now I need a DIY for rolling back/forward the odometer. (so it's accurate, of course) wink1.gif
Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Really easy. Let me snap some pics, tonight.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 1998/hyundai/tiburon fx

Do you still have the pics i could use them to do mine.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 AM

fury, Please update/reload the pics!!!