DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Looking For A Diy For Car Painting

Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

im planning on two toning my car in a year or so. Would you be able to make a tools list on the best tools and materials to use. I currently have a devilbiss paint gun and a decent compressor. What would you recommend using?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000

Sure Heres a basic list of what you will need. I must be in some Crazy list mood lol

1. Masking paper and tape. Get a few different sizes of paper. they come in 6 inch rolls, 16 inch rolls, and 36 inch. The white colored is the best because it is very solvent resistant. the green kind sucks. It will get solvent bleed threw and ruin your fresh paint. For tape you will need 3/4 inch and two inch masking tape. Also get some Fine line tape for sharp edges and for making crisp clean lines were you two tone.

2. Sand paper. The grits you will want to work with are 400,600,800,1500,2000,4000. And defiantly get a box of scotchbrites.

3. Sanding blocks. Mostly if you are just two toning a car you will want a soft block type. its about a half inch thick 2.5 inches wide and 4 inches long.

4. Water born solvent and Wax and grease remover.

5. And obviously the paint. This is personal preference as to what kind you get but please make sure you get something high quality. It will last much longer and look way better.

6. Nitrile gloves. Latex will work also but they are not very resistant to solvents so they will break apart easily.

7. good air respirator. We dont want you coughing up a lung and dying lol.

8.Shop towels for clean up and wiping down the car with the water born and wax and grease

9. mixing buckets and wood stir sticks. the buckets come in different sizes. Pints, Quarts, and gallons.

10. Orbital sanders make things easier as well. They make scotchbrites that are cut to fit so they will become your best friend.

11. Razor blades are a must have thing aswell

I will add to this list if i think of anything else useful.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

how much primer, base, and clear will finish a tibby?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:19 PM

When i did mine i just bought about a gallon of each. I had some left over but that can be very nice incase something happens and you need to repaint something. Paint is mostly mixed by hand with a ton of different toners so keep the extra paint so you will have a perfect match. other wise you will have to do blending and tinting, not much fun.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

so you only need about a gallon of each to paint an entire tib? the guy who bought my paint gave me like 3 gallons of each
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Three gallons of each must have been a ton of money lol. The stuff we used at the shop i worked at was 200-500 dollars a gallon.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Is that what you charged or what it cost? unless you were spraying hok on everything, that's more than I ve heard of anyone paying to buy paint
Old 11-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Thats what it cost for us to get. Most good car paints cost that. There is much more expensive paint out there. HOK has some pricey stuff but its by no means the most expensive or best paint. Sherwin williams has a special spiral flake paint out that cost $5000 a gallon and yes i meant to put 3 zeros on that. lol
Old 11-11-2008, 11:51 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

What about painting environment? My father in law used to do a bunch of wood staining in his garage, and bought some thick styrofoam walls (like 7 feet tall by 7' wide and 2" thick), and made a make shift paint booth in his garage for under 100 bucks. Would you recommend that? And any clue about how to ventilate (little fan pulling air out of the booth, etc?

Also, at work we have a huge oven for high VOC wood finishes where we bake on the enamel, but I have no clue where else I could "Bake" the car anywhere else. Would this be something like a heat lamp setup in the paint booth, or what? I'm just thinking of contaminents in the paint, and how to build the best environment smile.gif Thanks dude, awesome contribution for us all!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Good question, I have the same problem. I just work in my garage, and get all kinds of junk on the part that I paint. Those styrofoam walls are a great idea, but that might take a lot of work... How do you prevent contamination if you don't have a cleanroom that you're probably used to?
And baking? Does putting it in the sun work? lol