DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Looking For A Diy For Car Painting

Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone on here painted their car before, and do they have any suggestions where to get a DIY from, or could they whip one up themselves?

thanks in advance!

fing02.gif
Old 04-18-2008, 07:07 AM

90 percent of paint work is preparing the surface to be painted. the other 10 percent is knowing what to look for while your painting. i just got done 3 toning my car. but i'll make a diy soon.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've been considering this a lot, but don't have a complete idea of what all is involved. A DIY would be terrific!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rd2pimp @ Apr 18 2008, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>90 percent of paint work is preparing the surface to be painted. the other 10 percent is knowing what to look for while your painting. i just got done 3 toning my car. but i'll make a diy soon.</div>

awesome, you rock.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry350929

Like rd2pimp said, it's ll in the prep work. If you do a crappy job sanding nad preparing the surface then the paint job will look like crap. You need to take your time and sand everything down properly.

It's easiest to do one part at a time. Start with the roof or a fender and sand it down till its nice and smooth then apply the primer. If you try and do the whole car at once like I did then you are going to start rushing areas just so you can get it painted and you will see scratches from not sanding smoothly through the paint.

Wet sanding is a heck of a lot faster than sanding dry. The difference between the two is one uses water. I know it seems simply but some people don't know that. The difference between sand papers wet/dry is that the wet sand paper can hold water better where as regular paper will tear quickly.

I'm not an expert on the grits but I found 220 wet sanding worked pretty good. It takes me about 4 hours to prep one area properly but thats because I rushed the first time and now I have an extra lair of primer to sand through before I get to the original paint.

My first time through I just scuffed everything up but my base coat was coming off, peeling, and bubbling so You can see that in the primer.

Basically just take your time and it can turn out all right.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

some good tools can speed it up alot. but when it comes down too it the best idea is going to be to do the most body work you can get then try to get a shop to paint it. That will save you a ton and not sacrifice quality. btw, don't use bondo as a crutch.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 99 tiburon

Not sure how it is where you are, but in Montreal you can rent a space to spray paint your car for 100$, plus about 100$ for paint, depends on how you want to do it.

I think it would make it much easier with better effect if you use proffesional equipment to do the job.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

What would you guys suggest for painting just a bumper? I have a pretty low quality fiberglass front, that seems to need quite a bit of flexing to get into position. I know if I paint it off the car, when I install it the first time it'll probably show signs of cracking in the primer/paint. So I'm thinking I'll just install it, and buy a can of paint from a Honda Dealership (Type R Integra White). Since I'm not trying to win car shows or anything, just get the bumper to have a shine to it, where should I start?

here's the bumper, and as it sits, the top sides come out really far, but DO flex easily under the fenders.

I think the fiberglass should definitely be treated with something to beef it up a bit, but I have no clue how to go about this. Do I just sand, then go over it with a thin layer of bondo, or is that a no-no? No matter what, I have to do something, cause it seems one little rock will do some damage. I just think it'd be better if I did it than have somebody paid to, as I have almost zero cash to put towards this, and if something happens I should be able to fix it again later. What do you think guys? I'm sure plenty of others have the desire to just paint a quick job like this. I'm hoping it'll only take 6-8 hours? Let me know if I'm way off, haha. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Lol, the fact that you have to flex it like that to get it under the fenders isn't that big a deal man. You should have seen the clubgtr I had before the blitz, it was so much worse then that. As far as I'm concerned that's a darn good fit for an aftermarket bumper, especially since it has no problem flexing up under the fenders.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:54 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Right? I was way off. I just knew if I flexed it and cracked the corners, that NRG wouldn't swap it out for another bumper, so I didn't even try. I just assumed (like an ass) that it wasn't going to work, and when I saw your car I was friggin jealous, lol. Now I just gotta paint it and toss on my splitter. I was seriously bummed until you posted those pics of your car, and it gave me some hope smile.gif Kevin from NRG laughed when I said it'd crack if I pushed it into place under the fenders. I told him I'd happily admit I was wrong if it didn't crack, and sure enough with him holding one end in place, and I the other, the thing sat as nice as yours does. I couldn't be any happier to admit I was wrong!