DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Koyo Radiator Install- Direct Fit

Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

today, i decided to go ahead and install the new koyo radiator. was pretty damn easy, but i had some problems because i had a different turbo manifold, tims semi equal length style, so the gate was too close to the koyo as well as the compressor housing, with any other mani, turbo guys wont have a problem, and NA guys will be WAYYY fine..

anyway, radiator removal: this is the way i did it, there may be variations to this, but this was easiest for me.

Step 1:First, loosen the lug nuts. Jack the car up. Take off both front wheels, and take off the under splash guards. There are 4-5 10mm bolts on each side. you will find them easily. ( i had my bumper off, but you wont need to have yours off.)

just some pics of the splash guard taken off.
FYI: you may not even have to do ANY of this, i just did because i am going to be removing the transmission soon. although, removing the passenger side splash guard makes it easier to drain the coolant, otherwise it tends to leak all over the place.

Step 2: Drain the coolant. On the passenger side of the car near the bottom theres a lil twist off cap. Have a bucket under this area, and twist it off ( it helps to have the top radiator hose off so it can vent and empty faster)

Step 3: After the coolant is drained remove the bottom radiator hose, and the top one if you already havent.

Step 4: Remove the two upper radiator brackets, with a 12mm socket.

Step 5: depending on your fan setup, unhook the fans from the wiring harness, or take the fans off the radiator if you can first. ( in my case this was easier to take them off first)

Step 6: Take the radiator out of the car, it should lift right out. Be careful not to hit it on anything, in case you may re-use or are selling it.

Here are some comparison pictures: o yeah its badass..

Step 7: Drop in the new badass koyo that you have purchased. Be VERY caruful when putting it in, you dont want to bend any fins. Just line it up with the lower mounts, and push it down. Then put the upper radiator brackets over the koyo and bolt them back down.

Step 8: Hook up the fans, and put the lower hose back on. You will need to trim the upper hose to fit, but it doesn't look like it will be too hard. I didn't do mine yet, cuz i have other problems, lol.. but there ya go.

It took me about 1.5 hrs total, and that was with jacking up the car, taking BOTH wheels off, BOTH splash guards, taking off my wastegate, taking off my turbo manifold, taking out stock radiator, and installing the koyo. so if your good with tools and such, probaly could do it in under 45 minutes.

level of difficulty: 3 out of 10
Old 10-16-2006, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Nice diy. Radiator looks purty! fing02.gif
Old 10-16-2006, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

nice, how much you pay for the rad and from where?

oh yah and selina has that turbo manifold, i didnt like the wastegate position at all
Old 10-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Just for everyone else, there is no need at all to take the wheels off. You can reach everything with the car just jacked up and on stands. You don't even need to remove the splash guards. I found this out doing my FAL 220 fans. Super easy.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:14 PM

Nice DIY, once you get her running let us know how that radiator is i.e. cooling wise and such.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

a question for you...

what fans are you using? your wastegate flange looks like its almost touching the rad.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

yah the gate flange almost touched.. i need to get the whole manifold re fabbed.. i am using some slimline fans, which i must say sound badass and have been working great. this manifold is a nice style, but it comes out too far, and the gate location SUCKS..

i paid 370$ shipped from prostreetonline.

FYI, i am going to have the turbo flange moved back to the block somehow like .5" and the gate cut off and moved towards the block about .5".
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

just buy an obx manifold and give it a try. it would be just as much as making the adjustments to your current one. renante was saying that he was making more power wiht the obx style over the ramhead style too.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I can't use this. My compressor is next to the block and my FAL fans. No room on either side.
The stock radiator is doing just fine though. If I wanted it to be cooler, I could just run the passenger fan full time.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Cool man, looks great.

OT, but does putting header wrap on the intake piping help sheild it from the ambient engine heat?

I have some extra header wrap lying around and my intake is pretty messed up (a few small dents I worked out, but the paint is all chipped up) after being salvaged from the tib I hit the telephone pole in, and I was always wondering if it would work or not.

I always thought it just kept heat in, for exhaust's only, but I don't see why it wouldn't help keep the intake charge cooler as well. I may just wrap my AEM with the extra wrap I have. That is, if it would help keep the intake air cooler.

Thanks.