Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   DIY (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/diy-46/)
-   -   Install Your Own Header (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/diy-46/install-your-own-header-24197/)

MADTIB 04-29-2004 07:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cdogtibby1)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey man thats a good DIY... the guy that helps me with my car told me that we are gonna do the header later on tho... he wants to do exhaust and some exterior looks things... he said a header is a pain in the ass</div>

Actually it isn't that difficult.But then, I had my father the mechanical guru help me with it.And of course we did it in his shop. lol.gif

andyengineer 05-01-2004 08:34 PM

Ya, it's not that hard. It just takes some time and tools. I would say that an impact wrench is a must, but the other air tools are a luxury for the job. If you have a car in a dry and salt-free area of the world, then you could get by with just hand tools, I would think. This was the first time I had ever done anything of this sort and it really wasn't bad at all. I've installed my MBRP exhaust since then and that was total cake. I was going to do a DIY for that, but It seemed worthless when I saw how easy it was.

The_Alpha_Male 05-01-2004 09:51 PM

i'm gonna' be doing this very soon.

i took off that heat shield to clean some crap off of it.... then noticed my exhaust manifold is cracked all the way down the middle.

time for some OBX's 8^)

andyengineer 05-02-2004 01:24 PM

Sweet, good for you man. This will be alot cheaper than replacing it with OEM... and you get some performance! It's a win-win situation.

The_Alpha_Male 05-05-2004 09:22 AM

how much do you think a pro install would cost?

gspots-01htse- 12-01-2005 05:32 AM

any cost would be too much^^^ my pal has a celica and his heads are in the back which i have been told are harder to do and his install took about four hours. good DIY mang

01tibby 12-01-2005 11:23 AM

oldest post EVAR.

but i thank you for bringing it back up because it is an awesome DIY and wasnt in the listing. wink1.gif

xxxmonoxidechild 12-01-2005 11:36 AM

a few things to make it easier.

1st, dont grind or remove the power steeringbracket, just loosen the bolts up, but not remove them, it will give you enough room, and u dont need to deal with tensioning the belt or anything.

also, i just unplug the o2 sensors. and remove the piping with them installed. its alot easier to remove them from the mani, and piping when u have it all out of the car, and on the ground.

01tibby 12-01-2005 11:45 AM

first thing...definately.

second thing im not to sure about. is really hard to get the necessary leverage to take off the o2sensors without the piping or manifold rotating all over the place on the ground. it is possible, i would just rather take them off, or atleast loosen them while everything is bolted on.

BlackTibby00 12-01-2005 06:17 PM

Andy, Did you put the O2 sensors in the locations provided on the OBX's. First one being at the top and the other in the flex piping?
If so did you get a CEL?