DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Injen Wai Install Without Battery Relocation

Old 02-04-2007, 03:10 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Do you have a problem with your cold air intake comming off at the MAF sensor? This post might help you.

My first vehicle modification was a INJEN clone "CAI". It cost $20 + shipping from e-bay. It's no longer in my car, but it was a pain in the butt because it kept comming off at the MAF sensor. They actually want you to relocate the battery for a proper installation but there's no instructions that come with it.

I mounted the intake's single bracket to a bolt on top of the transmission. I bought a piece of 1/8" 'aluminum stock' from home depot. It's basically a long thin piece of aluminum that cost $8. I cut and bent it with a vice to the correct shape to bolt into 2 stock bolt holes on the tranny, drilled 2 holes in it and mounted it to my 'CAI' with a hose clamp. It supported the injen style WAI I never had the problem again.

Since then I upgraded to a intake that put the filter in the fender well and it is actually designed for the car without modification aside from cutting a hole in the plastic fender well.

Again, I'm sorry about not having pix, I just wanted to post this because it's good information for people who have this style of intake.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

You mean the filter is supposed to go horizontally where the battery is?? Looking at mine, I can kinda see that now, but what a pita! Adjusted mine so it would work, and it does fit pretty well.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:48 PM
DTN

No, the injen was designed to be a CAI(cold air intake) and the filter is supposed to be in the fender. In order to run it like that, you need to relocate the battery somehow. The way most people install it is actually upside down and in the engine bay, which technically makes it a Warm Air Intake.

I decided to just buy a AEM style and go around the battery instead of through it.

INJEN Style

AEM style

in order to install the injen, you must do something like this with your battery, or move it to the trunk.

and here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Thats what was done to mine as well. I have the Injen, but I think the actual Injen has that piece welded onto the intake instead of using clamps. If I get a decent picture, I'll post it up.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
DTN

^^^RTFT. and Look at the Fin pictures too. The first picture shows the Injen style installed as a WAI with the bolt on the transmission. If the hose clamps aren't tight enough, and I mean SUPER TIGHT, with vice grips and everything, the cai will fall off because of the weight of the filter and piping. Even after that is done, months later it will fall off again. This is a fix for that problem.

Hose clamps aren't load bearing devices and should not be holding the weight of the CAI. When the CAI is upside down like that, it needs support lower on the piping.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 PM

hhmmm, dont know DTN, i have a Injen and it has never fallen off... maybe cause your was a clone or something?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:52 PM
DTN

^^ do you have yours installed upside down as a WAI? Or did you relocate your battery? I'm not the only member who has had this problem. A hose clamp should not be holding on a 10 LB CAI and filter. I posted this because another member was having problems and I have a soloution.

a perminant soloution.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:04 PM

There is the probleme, i have it as a WAI, never bothered on relocating battery.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Chill out.

Either get a picture of the Injen installed the way you say it is designed to be, or just let it die.

I've seen a few dozen injens now, and all of them came with the tab to mount it where your air box used to mount. All of them were WAI's. I see no way that you could mount the injen and make it a CAI. None. It's just not long enough to go where the AEM goes, so where else could you do it that the filter would be out of the engine bay?

If you DID mount it some other way, then the tab welded on the Injen's wouldn't be mounted on anything.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

my injen clone came with one bracket welded to it. i bolted that to the threaded bracket that is left out in the middle of the engine bay when you remove your stock airbox. lined up perfectly.