DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Header Install Problem?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i searched the forum and ive seen how to install the headers and exhaust, im having mine done tomarrow. Just curious has anyone had any problems with installing certain headers? like ebay ones? or obx or any others? just curious to know for when i install mine... sry if this was brought up already i didnt see it anywhere else.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

what header are you going to use? are you doing the work or is a shop because it sounds like you said both?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

the only problem would probably be the exhaust bolts since they rust on there pretty good
but if ur gonna take it took a shop and have it done they can just chop it with a heat torch
also if it only has 1 bung hole [pun may be intended]
then you might need to get a O2 sim to copy the reading after the catalytic converter to make up for the misssing bung
Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^^^ little do you know...

some OBX headers have had problems bolting up due to the bolt pattern being as much as half hole off. if that happens, make sure that the ports will line up if all you have to do is die grind the hole that you are having problems with by slotting it.

I own megan headers on both my tibs and the only problem with that header that i have found is that you have to remove the power steering bracket to install the header. no biggie really, (4) 14 mm headed bolts and you got it off. I'm not for sure if the OBX you have to do that or not, never owned one. I have heard some people having problems with the meagan not having enough clearance from the oil pan, but not enough to worry about.

do yourself a favor and replace the exhaust manifold studs if you are installing a new header. it costs me like $25.00 extra for 9 studs, nuts, and washers. they come out relatively easy if you double nut them and a 14mm gearwrench is truly your friend on this,lol. one other thing, if you do replace the studs, antiseize every hole and stick the longer end of the stud in the hole, not the shorter end. when using the washers and the nuts, you will end up with a flush end on the stud completely covered, no rust problems after that.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

I ended up getting a set of headers off ebay and the only thing i had problem was clearance from the radiator fan (just getting them in, once they were on there was no issue for clearance), and a couple of my holes were about 1 mm off which i easily just dremelled out.

Installation is pretty easy. Most of it is common sense. Hard to really screw up if you know how to unbolt something and then bolt it back on.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 PM

ya sry for not giving enough clarification! im getting a shop to put them in 2marrow, umm i dont know if there obx because it doesnt say obx on them.. so i figure there ebay ones. will i notice a gain with either of them? or no?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 AM

You might have to notch the OBX ones where they connect to the flex pipe. Try ot to beat the bejesus out of your rad too, when trying to get them in.