DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY : Stop Rear view mirror rattles & most of the vibrat

Old 03-22-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed this post but I did it about two months ago. I had never heard of anyone else really complaining about it but I had some extra dynamat after my stereo install and fixed it up. I only have one 12 with 400W going to it but I get no rattle now, its much better.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:22 PM

I haven't heard anyone complain here, most of that was at hp.com
Old 03-22-2004, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, the noise in my tib sounds like it's coming from the dash, but after holding the base of my mirror, it's from there. I'm gonna pull mine off on wednesday and fill it with some silicone sealant. That should silence it.

Thanks man.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:26 AM

redz, i've got plenty of dynamat, if you want i can send you some (at my expense) to make up for the (-.20) wink.gif ,

Personally i'd stay away from the silicone, yeah it'll work for a while but eventually it will harden and it may be a b!tch to get the mirror back off once it sets.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sure man, I'll try it.

I've got no experience with it, but what the hey.

Email me mang.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:51 PM

Worked great stopped all noise from my mirror....only problem now is i am noticing rattles for other places now.....Also be carefull removing the clip you can crack the whole piece if not carefull....all in all it is a real easy way to stop the mirror from vibrating, took me all of 30 min to do.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:00 PM

greatlakes, yeah i think that the reason for that is that you are so close to the rear view that it drowns all the others out, but they are much easier to pinpoint w/o the rear view rattling. sometime over the next couple of weeks, i'll be trying this same method on the side mirrors, but i expect it won't work as well.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah i hust joined and i was looking through your diy section and i noticed the rear view mirror diy and i looked through it. i didnt have any dynomat and i tried another way and it took me about 5 minutes and the materials were very inexpensive. i dont know if it works better but i do know it took me less time than the eta for the other way. im very satisfied with my results and i get absoluitly no rattles and the vibration has stopped also. i can see out of my rear view with my engine above 3.5 rpms.

so what i did was:

i took my mirror off (obviously), took every thing apart, took foam that was easily compressed( also used to seal my window that holds my ac in my house), and put it in between everything that could rattle. i used about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch in between each piece. i then poked a hole that my screw could go through and screwed it back together. i then slid the rearview back into position in my car.

i did this so it could be undone easily if i didnt work. for anybody that hasnt already fixed their rattle problem i think you should try my method first to see if you can save the money and time.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:43 PM

welcome to RD alex........please fill in your profile information...especially where you are.

Yes the foam will work.....but may not last quite as long as the dynamat.......for one reason........that part of the car, if left in the sun gets EXTREMELY HOT. you might want to be careful, and check it, say early to mid august.

And I had a bit of dynamat left over from doing the hatch area....so this actually cost me nothing to do. Your DIY may be another alternative.....but again check the foam in a couple of months and see how its holding up in that heat, dynamat is also an insulator so it should be able to stand the high temps there.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:16 PM

I have some kind of squeaking from my trunk, is that the same as the rattling that dynomat is supposed to cure?