DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy - Sea Foam

Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

I did this the other day and found LOTS of topics talking about Sea Foam, and lots of different ways to do it, but this one (which I'll credit faithofadragon for his idea) seemed the easiest. Plus, you don't have to disconnect your brakes.

So, I thought a DIY would be helpful. This process is so simple, I don't really think it requires pictures..as long as you know what the fuel rail, intake manifold, and the throttle body are, you should be good to go tongue.gif

<u>Tools needed:</u>
1 can of Sea Foam ~$5
Flat head screw driver (for hose clamps)
Spray bottle ~$2
1 ft of Hose (see below) ~$2
15-45 minutes of time (depends how long your car smokes for)
6 pack of Coronas laugh.gif

<u>Process</u>
First, go to the auto parts store and pick up a 1 ft long hose, get the same size as the small one that goes between the intake manifold and fuel rail (not sure of the size because I have an Airram, but even if you get the wrong one, it won't really matter as long as it fits on there somewhat snug)

Drive to a well ventilated area and park (you will have to be here for awhile, until your car stops smoking anyway)

Begin drinking Coronas (if you parked somewhere other than your house, bring a DD with you tongue.gif)

Connect one end of your new hose to the IM, leave the other end open (dangling)

Then, since you will want to clean out your throttle body/intake elbow as well, pour some Sea Foam in your spray bottle. Now take your elbow/throttle body off, spray inside the elbow a bit, and then soak the inside of the TB, until a small puddle forms in the lip of it.

Put your intake back together, tighten all clamps, make sure all sensors are in the right spots, MAF is not backwards, etc etc..

Start the car

Find the open end of the hose that you bought, and stick it inside the Sea Foam can. The engine will "suck" the Sea Foam out. Give it some air every once in awhile, if you don't it may die. You could also have a friend or someone sitting inside ready to give it a little gas if it is about to die. The idle will be kind of rough, and smoke will start pouring out of your exhaust.

Once your engine has sucked 1/3 of the can of Sea Foam (1/3 of a pint, to be exact), connect the original hose back in place.

Finish drinking Coronas

Let the car idle until the car is not smoking anymore (you should not drive until it is done). Usually takes between 10-15 minutes, but it depends. Mine took like a half hour.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

lol nice. butseriously who couldnt figure this out on their own???? lol
Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

^^ laugh.gif i couldnt thats why i still have an un opened can of seafoam in the garage, and i work at the part store so you know i'm gonna get some of that line tommarow when i go in.

you just ask for a foot of the vacum/small fuel hose. they will cut it for you its like a 1.75 a foot at autozone i think.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You could also buy a can of the spray version of it, and just use that in the TB, and spray it into the lower connector without a hose.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM

um... explanation as to what this is exactly?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Feb 16 2007, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>

1. PCV pour down the hose. Good idea to keep this line clean. Great vacuum line.

2. Throttle Body intake. Can hit butterfly valve, as well as throttle body.

4. Idle air bypass hose. Disconnect from Y Pipe, and pour down hose to clean the IAC solenoid, also provides a large path to get seafoam into engine.

3. Idle air bypass solenoid disconnect hose from engine and pour into idle air controler when car is off. do this last.

Point 1 was moved because if you use the breather rather then the PCV, most of the liquid will just fall into your intake and not get sucked into the engine properly.

on point 3, you actually will go away from the engine. It's just to clean out the IAC.</div>

You have to have pix to make a DIY dude.

Also, you should turn the car off for 15 minutes after pouring the last of the seafoam into the car. Once it sits and disolves the nasties, you should then turn it on and let it idle for 30 minutes while the carbon is burned off.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM

Seafoam cleans out your engine. I have a video somewhere of my buddy driving away after he used it in his grand am. All you see is a huge cloud of white smoke, and all you hear is noise.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Yes, DTN you are correct, there are MULTIPLE ways you can do this, I just found this the easiest and quickest. You don't have to pour anything, you don't have to disconnect anything, you just let the engine suck it up.

DTN, I don't have pictures. And for a process this simple, if anyone needs pictures, take them yourself. LOL. This should not require pictures. Would you take pictures for a "change your oil DIY" ?

And if you don't want to call it a DIY, fine with me, change the title to something more appropriate then. My writeup has already inspired 2 people, and it hasn't even been a day.

Anyway, Sea Foam says to let the car run, not drive it, and not shut it off, let it idle. So that's what I did.

If you don't know what Sea Foam is or what it is used for, search, you could look on here, google, ask the guy at the auto parts store, I don't care, this thread is obviously for people who have Sea Foam and want to use it in their tib.

The spray can version stuff works too, but I still find this to be easier. Don't have to disassemble anything to spray, just pull the hose off, stick it in the can, reconnect the hose. Done.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM

right, because driving to the auto parts store (while im at work) is a LOT easier than just typing a sentence in the forums. its not like it took great strain from anyone to answer a simple question. Tibbychick was helpful enough to answer, I dont think it required an interjection from you.

but yes now that i know what it is where to get it and what it does as well as how to use it I just may go out and buy some
Old 08-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Dude, all you had to do was click Search, and type in Sea Foam.
Or go to Google, and type in Sea Foam.
Or go to Sea Foam's website, and read.

I'm just saying, posting off-topic is a rule around here, and asking "what is it" in a thread that is dedicated on "how to put it in your tib" is most certainly off-topic.

If someone had a thread "how to install a turbo kit on your tiburon" and you went in there asking "what is a turbo? how does it help me?" what kind of response would you expect? Same thing applies here.

Now, enough of this. I'm glad you got your answer, and I hope you give it a try, because there certainly is a lot of junk in our engines from all the oil that gets in through the PCV valve.

I suggest everyone that does this mod to also install an oil catch can (and NO, this is not the place to start a "catch can" discussion. there are plenty of other threads for that, in fact, I just made a new one a few days ago, if you're interested).