DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy - Resonator Removal

Old 03-03-2005, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about dirt and dust getting sucked up into the airbox hole where the air duct used to be?

Sure, that's what the air filter is for, but won't that thing get plugged a lot quicker if it's sucking right from the engine bay?

I also read about resonators being useful, in that they hold a supply of air (like a capacitor holds voltage) until the piston needs it. This way, the intake system stays charged, and all the air arrives on schedule. Is there any truth to this, or is that a completely different theory with regards to our cars?

Link: http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/reson.../resonator.html
Old 03-03-2005, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

When you get an AEM, there is no resenator tongue.gif From what I've researched the resenator on our cars is doesn't affect us much if removed. It's there to restrict db levels.

I recommend you do not install just an cone as a "short ram air" or "WAI" Down the road you will notice problems. My neighbour did that to his Cougar, left it on there for 8 months, ended up costing him 570$ to repair the damage.

You can leave a cone there for up to a month, until you get your CAI but no more.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

what damage did/ could a cone/WAI do tanc?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 PM

He just had his temp sensor hanging, and his timing was off. I forget exactly what problem this caused becuase it was around a year and a half ago.

Buy a ebay CAI for 30$ and play it safe instead of sitting there with a cone and no temp sensor.

This has gotten a bit off topic..so lets get back on topic guys. Start a new thread if you got questions/concerns or you could search the site and search over at HP they have some info on this.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Hate to add on, but I don't wanna leave them hanging. Yes, resonators help and do as that article says, but in stock form thats not their purpose, just to keep down sound.

Leaving the sensor hanging wouldn't cause any problems in most cases. Your going to be hanging the sensor near the entrance to the WAI, and temp isn't going to go down much if any by the time it hits the engine. You might run a tad leaner, but the way the Tib runs rich and the knock sensors are there, I doubt it'll cause a problem.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:15 PM

Okay one last statement before I finish with this offtopic business.

Keep in mind that he had problems on his cougar, which is obviously not the same as a tib engine so I'm not sure of the problems it will cause, if any.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, I've missed this, keep it on topic or I'll warn everyone.

1. Taking the resonators off will help EVERYTHING. It should be the first thing you do to your car. The ONLY reason these resonators are on the car in the first place is to keep the sound down and to please the import boards that Korean MFR's have to go to to get a car approved for sale in the US.

2. Strapping a cone filter onto the MAF does work, but it's not a good idea. You want the air going into the MAF in a NON TURBULENT manner. Also, if you put it on the MAF, you will have no support and it will be bouncing all the time.

3. If you do strap a cone filter right onto the MAF, you will NOT have a place for the IAT (Intake Air Temp Sensor). Yes, it MUST BE INSTALLED for your car to run right. Ask Wattsup4800, he's a member here, had huge problems with his car and one of the main culpits was the sensor not being installed.

The moral of the story?

1. Take out JUST THE PARTS LISTED IN THE DIY till you get a CAI. Your intake will still be solidly mounted and the IAT will be in the correct place.

2. GET A CAI. Solve all the problems at once.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:15 PM

I bit the bullet and did it.

I now have improved throttle responce, just as ol' Redz said so. I removed the resonator (PITA) and the duct.

Thanks for the DIY!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: na

if you don't want to buy a CAI, you can remove the resonator and the air duct only. Leave your air box intact and leave that hole open to suck in air. Water will not get in, unless you drive the tib on water.

By having the stock airbox, you do not have to worrying about hanging the airtemp sensor.

I, myself stuck a cone on, and left the base of the air box in place to support my cone. It still does bounce. Also I left my airtemp hanging inside the base of the airbox. It hasn't cause any problems for me, but it's not a good idea if you want to keep your performance in perfect shape.

Do you guys know if it's safe to drill a hole in my air intake hose close to the cone instale and stick my airtemp. sensor in there? or i should just leave it hanging?
Old 03-12-2005, 04:20 PM

Um. Do not drill, and do not leave it hanging. Buy a CAI man.

If you place the sensor so close to the filter it will read the air that it JUST sucks in. In order for your sensor to read properly it needs to read AIR after air travels in the CAI piping. There's a thread on this somewhere around I remember reading it. There are other guys that can explain this better then I can so I'll let them give this a go.