DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: Polished Aluminum Shifter Ring Leds

Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

By: DrivingTibNaked

If you want to do a "temporary" setup with LEDs like REDZMAN requested, you can use this method to get a good setup. I've tested this out already, but have not had time to do the full wiring. It looks like it will be a while before I can get around to it. I figured I'd post this here though.

This will be the easiest soloution for everyone:

First get some 12V 3mm LEDs in your choice of color
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...o%3D1&fgtp=
Get some black 3MM LED holders
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...3mm+LED+holders
Get some black 5mm LED holders and chop the backs off so they sit flush in the hole. They're used to take up space between the 3mm holder and the hole where you'd usually put a bolt
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...D+holders+black
go to radio shack and pick up some telephone clips
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

1. Bend the end of the LED to go straight up through the hole where you'd usually put a bolt.
2. place a chopped 5MM led holder into the hole.
3. secure the 3mm LED and the 5MM led holder with a 3MM LED holder
4. place a telephone clip on the back side of the shifter surround to secure the wiring so that the LED cannot push up through the hole
5. connnect all of your LED hot wires to the green/white wire at the cigarette lighter
6. connect the ground wire to the black wire at the cigarette lighter or to a shifter bolt for ground.

Here's what it looks like when completed

I'll be doing this to my shifter when I get a chance, but I thought everyone should see this before they put it all together so that they can do it without having to disassemble the shifter surround again.

*** I take no responsibility for E-BAY parts. I suggest you buy LEDs and resistors from www.superbrightLEDs.com and do your own wiring. I also take no responsibility for your wiring job.***
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 AM

Where can I get the aluminium shifter ring from?????

Ive only got the silver looking plastic one that came on the car 02.gif
Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

from meeeeeeeee,lol.

look in the group buy section bud
Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 AM

if anyone is going to do this visit www.oznium.com can get all the LEDS and holders and such at one place and shipping is a $3.95 flat rate no matter what you buy and customer support is the best around would be nice to see more tibbys on the OZ boards
Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

yea oznium is awesome just bought some parts their very nice service and quality
Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: Elantra XD GT

I have to add. I see no mention of using resistors, which is required if you don't want your led's to last only like 30 minutes of running time in total.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

"First get some 12V 3mm LEDs in your choice of color" i.e. pre-wired with resistor for 12V
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KeWLKaT @ Apr 21 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I have to add. I see no mention of using resistors, which is required if you don't want your led's to last only like 30 minutes of running time in total.</div>

When I made the DIY, I made it so that you'd just have to click the links, order parts and wait.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drifting10 @ Apr 21 2008, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>if anyone is going to do this visit www.oznium.com can get all the LEDS and holders and such at one place and shipping is a $3.95 flat rate no matter what you buy and customer support is the best around would be nice to see more tibbys on the OZ boards</div>

Every LED on my car is from Oznium. Definitely good people to work with. They accidentally short shipped me on an LED strip once. I emailed them, and it was shipped out Priority the next day, no questions asked. Definitely a great source for anyone looking for LEDs.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: Elantra XD GT

Interesting!

Just a thought so that someone doesn't go in radio-shack asking for 3mm LEDs just to see that it doesn't work.

Good job!