DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY - Oil Catch Can

Old 01-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive just ordered my catch tank but i have a question. Looking fron the front of the car the pipe i cnnect it to is the one on the right of the crank case correct? rather than feeding it back i was just going to block off the pipe on the inlet manifold that this normally connects to. What about the pcv valve? this also allows air to flow from the cover into the inlet manifold, what do i do with this one and can it hold the boost or when im under boost am i pressurising the rocker cover? Do i just remove the pcv and block both sides off?

Cheers Jon
Old 01-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

this sounds like a good mod, keep ur engine clean. ill prolly do it this spring early summer, i should get a bigger catch can since im planning on turboing...that being said can somebody(coughtanc coughplease) do an actual DIY writeup on this with pics? iknow there is a material list with vauge directions and tanc has his after pics but i wouldnt wanna get it until i can look at it and see how im gonna do it..
Old 01-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Jon

Right just been down to look at my car and noticed a couple of things, firstly the right hand pipe that normally goes into the intake pipe just before the throttle body is now just a long pipe that goes to the fire wall and then down to near the floor so that just vents to the air. Thats not exactly ideal in itself but i am more worried abouts something else i have noticed, when i am under high boost(12psi) if the pcv valve cant handle all this pressure in reverse it will pressurise the rocker cover which will in turn vent that pressure straight back out through the right hand breather pipe causing boost leak.

After noticing this i think it may be the best option to T both the breather and pcv valve pipes into one and onto the catch can then have the other side of the catch can just going to air. Then i can block of the hole that the pcv pipe went to on the inlet manifold. That way i should catch all the oil instead of just dumping it and there will also be no chance of boos leak.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:08 PM

I made two of these oil catch cans using Home Depot and Autozone parts, one for the tube routed before the throttle body and another for the tube routed to the intake manifold, labeled #1 and #2 respectively in my picture. After about 90 miles of driving, mostly highway, I don't see any oil in #1, but about 1mL in #2. If your tube going to the intake manifold isn't connected to the catch can, you may want to think about doing that !

Old 07-12-2005, 04:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I was looking this up and noticed a lack of pics. well i found this over on hp. smile.gif

http://www.mirage-performance.com/so...Can/index.html
Old 07-13-2005, 05:41 PM

number 2 is where oil from the crankcase is sent through the intake manifold into the engine , because like earlier stated, we can't have excess oil drippping on the streets. The can just catches the oil that would otherwise be sent to your engine to combust. Please avoid all jokes pertaining to number 1 and number 2.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I finally got around to building mine.

The oil/water seperator was $11.99 from either Autozone or Home Depot. HD has a Husky brand with a black top. Autozone has a generic one with a blue top. They are the same size, price, and design though.

I got a 1/2" to 3/8" barb fitting from Home Depot also for $1.69

The fuel hose I got from Autozone for $1 per foot. 3/8" size.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:02 PM

can anyone update the diy pics please
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM

what i did on mine was: first if you have already gotten rid of the crappy stock intake look at the driverside motor mount you will notice a curved arm connected to it with a bolt hole at the end. thats the spot i used to mount my wrt oil catch. the 2 outlets on the valve cover both have hoses connected to them which are tee'd into one hose right b4 the can.connect that hose to the can and from the other outlet run a hose to the inlet right b4 the throttle body. and cap off the i/m hose outlet. this way theoritcally since the can is lower than the valve cover the oil that comes will flow into the can due to gravity. ive had mine set up like this for 3 months and it works pretty dam good
Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I have read someplace that putting wire mesh (metal scouring pad) inside of your catch can that it helps collect the oil out of the vapor.

Truth or Myth?