DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY: LED Window Switch Mod

Old 04-19-2006, 09:10 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I was looking at the wiring and noticed that it is a 1K resistor. This is set up for 2 10mA green LEDs. if you're wondering how to make it brighter, that's it. I'll post when i do my mod.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine with 5mm LEDs, but I would say go with 3mm. Mine stick on occasion, and I'm pretty sure the large LED is the culprit, even though I sanded the tops. 3mm LEDs will still be bright enough to blind you at night if you want.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Pics are down! Can someone update these please. Im really wanting to do this mod. Is there a special way to desolder the board? Just for future reference when I actually get around to do it when the pics are back up.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Just finished mine, passenger side (first one) took me about 3 hours, but I was a newb on soldering. Drivers side took me under an hour (from in place to reinstalling it).
To desolder the circuit board, just put a lot of heat directly on the 2 joints holding it down, and then be sure to get rid of all their solder to make it easier to reinstall. You'll probably melt the plastic under it, but just remelt before installing it at the end.
Looks beautiful, I sanded then 3mm LED, and it works and looks incredible.

Just got my 2 middle angel eyes made and installed, have to do the door ones now. My interior is starting to look like yours! ^^
Old 11-06-2006, 07:39 PM

couple notes...

1. its best to use a de-soldering sucker. the basic one are just a syringe looking thing that you pump once, then push a button to suck everything up.

2. heat on the leads of the LED will kill the led QUICK. you want to try and keep the amount of time you hold the tip to the lead at a minimum.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ werd.gif Leds are very sensitive.

My desoldering tool is even more basic then that.. I've got this bulb like a doctor would use in an ear infection. I just squeeze it, let it go, and let it suck the solder smile.gif. You can get them at RS for like $5, they're good to have around... If you ever F--- up your soldering, just heat it up, suck it off and start over.

Don't try to heat up solder and stick the LED through the already soldered hole, that will mess up the LED because of all the heat needed. You need to pull out the old LEDs, get rid of the solder using a desoldering bulb, wick, or tool of some sort. You can even use a piece of wire, just tin it on the board. Keep in mind that the solder that Hyundai uses is VERY toxic. I got high off that once, and that's not good at all because it's got lead in it. My desoldering tool is even more basic then that.. I've got this bulb like a doctor would use in an ear infection. I just squeeze it, let it go, and let it suck the solder smile.gif. You can get them at RS for like $5, they're good to have around... If you ever F--- up your soldering, just heat it up, suck it off and start over.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:52 PM

Yeah, blew an LED doing it too... What I ended up doing was leaving the legs on the LEDs and soldering it to different points on the circuit board, so then I was soldering about an inch away from the LED, and didn't burn it out. I had no clearance issues with that either. Plus I didn't have to worry about getting the solder over onto the other leg and messing up the circuit completely.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 AM

Anyone have the pictures for this DIY somewhere? It always helps if you have a visual aid smile.gif