Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   DIY (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/diy-46/)
-   -   DIY: LED Window Switch Mod (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/diy-46/diy-led-window-switch-mod-20956/)

01tibby 10-16-2005 10:29 AM

you dont need the electric spray cleaner. just go in there with some dry spray graphite and hit some of the contact points. just dont spray the graphite on anything electrical, because it probably conducts electricity and will burn up your window switch.

KayJai 10-16-2005 10:56 AM

So basically take the switch apart if you're gonna use the graphite spray

Ssysak 10-16-2005 11:17 AM

Ill definately go pick some up, Its annoying me. Thanks for the suggestions.

tanc 10-16-2005 11:44 AM

I did this mod a couple months ago, you can probably see it in my exhaust video and I've never had a problem with them. I used 3mm LEDS.

There is a local store around that deals with lights etc etc. My pops knows the owner and he's come by the house a couple times. I talked to him about these LEDS and he said he doesn't sell them in his store but he can order them. Any size any color and they are real cheap.

I got my self 100 3MM Blue LEDS for 30 bucks. If anyone is intrested for this mod or others pm me and I'll hook you up unless your KITFOX who sticks leads in every corner of your car.

funkypc 10-17-2005 02:07 PM

My buttons were sticky for a bit, but after wiggling them a bit, they worked great (or as good as tibby window buttons ever work lol)

draguntib 10-17-2005 02:16 PM

I used the 5mm leds when i did it and it works fine. I assembled the passenger side wring so it doesnt work but other than that everything works fine. My buttons have been sticking since i got the car and nothing i have tried seems to help. Including compressed air - wd-40, etc...

AllBlackTibby 11-23-2005 03:49 PM

I used 5mm LEDs because they were available, and they worked, and they should for everyone else too.
I was able to do the passenger side just as easily. Plus, you're able to get them a lot brighter as well

As for sticking, if you don't reassemble them right, they will stick. I ran in to this problem myself. It's hard to explain, but the window button itself has that long tab that goes down inside the switch. Inside the switch there is a contact that moves back and forth (front to back). If you look down inside the slot (that the tab on the button goes through) you can see it. It moves back and forth on it's own with the button out. I had to reach down inside there with a tiny screwdriver, center it (as if the button was in it's neutral position) and then put the button in so that the end of the long tab fits in the groove of the switch contact. If not, you get sticking.

Also, I wouldn't bother with graphite, too risky. Contact cleaner (basically mineral oil in a bottle with some propellant) will clean and lubricate and won't fry anything electrical as it does not conduct eletricity.

If you're having sticking issue that you didn't before the mod, and the LED is soldered on straight and flush with the circuit board, take it apart and put it together again.

Racing388 04-04-2006 06:44 PM

Didnt want to start a new thread so i figured i would jsut throw it at the end of this. I couldnt quiet get this diy to work for me. Got the circuit board desoldered and off, then desoldered one of the green led's replaced it with a 3mm blue led resoldered it and placed it back on the window switch. Now the other green one lit up, but my blue one didnt. I know the polarities arent wrong, and i know theres power there. I checked theres exactly 1.97v. Then i figured i would put the green one back on in place of the blue. Then it worked fine again. But when the blue goes in it doesnt work, but yet theres still 1.97v going to it. I know the blue led isnt bad just checked it right before and right after with my cell phone battery, which is 3.7v

Anybody have any clue what this could be??

Appreciate any help!!

SilentSecret 04-04-2006 06:47 PM

you have the solder touching on the back side of the light. solder cant touch also check your + and - on the led
http://www.brendanandliz.com/images/diy2.jpg
cant touch

what kinda Leds did you get? the same as the DIY?

Racing388 04-04-2006 06:50 PM

Got a little confused by that!
What do u mean i have the soder touching on the back side of the light sodder cant touch

and my positive is down and negative is up