DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY: How To Tell If Your RD Has ABS

Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon RD1

Let's see, I am replacing my rear hub and bearing assembly on my 1997 tiburon. Just noticed the rear hub bearing assembly has teeth around the backside of the assembly. Looking through this post and looking at my rear axle and also the old hub assembly, from what I gather I have a 1997 NON ABS Tiburon. I don't have anything installed yet but to not have to mess with re-shipping an item back to a parts dealer, can I get away with using a Rear hub bearing assembly W/ABS on my Non-ABS tiburon?? Or should I send the wrong parts back, time is a factor but it doesn't outweigh safety.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Yes you can. I have them in the rear on my non ABS 99 Tib. They were actually cheaper than the non abs hubs. And oh, if they are still available, you should get Timken bearings/hub assemblies. I chewed through 2 sets of OEM bearings until my brother recommended Timken. NEVER had a problem since. My entire ride is rolling on Timken bearings now and they are holding up very well.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon RD1

Thanks tibbytib, sounds good and now I can finish up rubberizing and undercoating the wheel wells and get these hubs together. Don't have timken bearings at the moment but if anything happens with these bearings I'll take your advice and grab some. BTW, I know this isn't a hood thread but one quick question, what do you do with that vent in your hood when it rains, is the vent open?