DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy Fiberglassing

Old 01-20-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Hey guys, found this on some mazda forumns, hope it helps.

This is the link for the actual DIY, but I posted their material list for easy viewing below.

http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/

This is another good link I found:

http://www.ajquick.com/cars/tutorials/fiberglass.php

MATERIALS

Nearly everything I used for this project was purchased at Home Depot. Here is a basic list of the materials used and approximate prices:

Fiberglass Mat & Cloth: under $30 9 sq/ft (1 yard) packages. I used approximately 6 packages, at under $5 each.

Fiberglass Resin: approx $50 Buy it by the gallon (I didn’t). I also wasted a lot of resin during various stages of this project. Buying by the quart costs a lot more. Each gallon container is about $25, and it's better to have too much than too little.

Brushes: $5 Get the cheapest kind you can, as they will probably not be reused. I used the foam brushes, but I would recommend using regular bristle brushes. Get some of each if you want to experiment. Let’s say, 10 brushes @ 50 cents each. If you choose to try and save your brushes, put them in acetone immediately after use.

Masking Tape: under $10 A couple of rolls of wide tape should do the trick. I would suggest using mostly the blue painter’s tape (again, I did not), but a roll of the stickier stuff could come in handy also.

Mixing Buckets At 75 cents each for the plastic kind with volume marks on the side, buy 5 or more.

Mixing Sticks Just like the paint jobs on Monster Garage, these are freebies. Get a stack at the paint counter.

MDF: about $10 Medium Density Fiberboard
I used ½” and ¾” thick MDF for this project.
You don’t necessarily have to buy big 4’ x 8’ sheets. My local Home Depot has 2’ x 4’ sheets as well, and these are cheaper and easier to transport. One of each thickness oughtta be enough.

Wooden Dowels: under $5 Scraps of MDF or other wood can be substituted for the dowels.
I bought a couple of 6’ lengths of 3/8” diameter dowel. You may use more, less, or other sizes for your project.

Wood Glue: couple bucks. Yellow carpenter’s glue is great

Fleece or other fabric: about $15 I purchased a polyester/cotton blend at a local fabric store. I got 3½ yards, which is a lot – but I also used it as a final covering for the enclosure when it was completed.
Make sure your material is stretchy. I have also read about the use of grille cloth and trunk liner also.
Stay away from pure cotton, as it can shrink and wrinkle.

Spray Adhesive: $10 3M #90 is a good product – that’s the heavy duty. They also have a standard strength, which should work fine, too (I think that’s #88)

Acetone: $5 For cleanup

The grand total for all materials is approximately $150.

TOOLS

Besides the brushes and other light tools mentioned above, I also used the following hand and power tools:

Jigsaw
Router w/various bits and circle jig (I made my own jig)
Drill w/various bits
Scissors/shears (NOT your mom’s favorite pair – they will be ruined!)
Dremel rotary tool w/various bits.
Tape measure
Hot glue gun
Disposable rubber gloves
Old 01-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

I've seen that site before. He's got some really great tips in there with good explanations and pictures. It's a definate bookmark for anyone doing a fiberglass job for the first time.