DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: Cleaning Your Aem Cai Filter

Old 02-17-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well... i got bored this afternoon and thought to myself... i bet my filter needs a cleanin. went to autozone and bought the recharge kit for the K&N filter there for ten bucks.

This is actually a long process... well not really, it just takes some time so be prepared to not be able to drive your car for at least two hours.

STEP 1: remove filter... duh

STEP 2: spray contents of the filter cleaner to the outside and inside of cleaner THOROUGHLY.. its the spray bottle in the pic below... wait ten minutes

STEP 3: rinse... THOROUGHLY... this is a process that must be done correctly otherwise its worthless. let the water run (low pressure) down the lines of the filter from the INSIDE ONLY. here is a pic of what it looks like after a drop falls out of my filter, notice the nasty brown shizz to the left

also... in this picture below notice what my friggin fingers look like after running them along the filter after a single wash... still pretty dirty

STEP 4: let dry completely and naturally... no hair dryers or vents to let this sucker sit on... let it sit on a paper towel for about an hour or so until completely dry.

STEP 5: spray the oil onto the filter. light coats.. about 3 of em... like you did the water thing, down the lines of the filter. If you overdo the oil you must redo the entire process... no oil should drip from the filter.

STEP 6: let dry for 20 minutes

STEP 7: re-install

STEP 8: drive

STEP 9: drive harder

FINAL STEP: enjoy by driving even more even harder

overall a good thing to do... mine went without a cleaning for a year and obviously needed it... i guess i would recommend doing this about once every six months or so depending on where you live... and what conditions your cold air intake endures. good luck
Old 02-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Good write.... I remember when I cleaned my filter it was friggin dirty.....A fairly long process, but an important one.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:35 PM

thank you, thank you.... ohh and btw, DO NOT OIL IN HOUSE!!! haha just a warning, no i did not do this! the oil is red and will not come out of carpet, is flammable, and toxic. just a fyi
Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 PM

The oil comes off the sink just fine. Just carry it with a paper towel.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:12 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

if your filter is very dirty - before spraying cleaner - tap filter and use soft brush to clean big dirt.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

All the reasons why I'm going to pick up the new "oil-less" filter a.s.a.p. Cleaning these filters sucks!
Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

^^^
cleaning is almost the same, only difference is you don't need to oil them (you save about 10 minutes)
Old 02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

just out of curiosity, was that AEM style or Injen style? My ingen used to get very dirty, i just changed over to AEM and am hoping that it will stay a bit cleaner as it is better protected.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

that looks like an aem dry flow filter that shouldn't be oiled
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It also looks like a dirty-ass K&N that needs a cleaning. I know, I've had 3 of them on different cars and they always get that gray/purple tint to 'em.

Follow the directions that come with the recharge kit, it's not rocket science.