DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: Cheap Arse Rear Strut Bar

Old 04-07-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its finally time for some cheap mods again... since it seems its been forever since anyone has posted anything. I apologize but i have no pictures for this DIY... it was done extremely fast because of time restrictions (i had to go to work and i only had about a half an hour)

First for this mod to your car you must order a cheap front strut bar off of ebay for our cars... i've provided a link. These bars shouldnt cost you more than 35 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYUNDAI-TIB...1QQcmdZViewItem

List of required tools:

Crescent Wrench
Dremel Tool (only necessary if you dont have a proper tool for cutting metal)
Socket set (metric and standard)
Phillips head screw driver

Ok... first you must remove the dust cover and side panel covers of your trunk to get to the metal brackets above the struts.

Next you remove those brackets, then remove the the innermost nut of the strut (haha) and the one directly above it facing the front of the car (PM me with questions... im terrible at describing things)

Put your bracket down onto the innermost nut and position the bracket to optimal position for mounting... (a.k.a. put it to where its actually going to work... duh) then mark the areas that need to be removed... pic below

I apologize for the picture of the bracket... it says "Cuts to be made are marked in red"
You should be able to tell from the picture... or even from your test fitting (each car is going to be a little different so this is ok)

Make your cuts and then fit the bracket onto the strut... if the bracket does not fit very well just sand down what needs to be sanded down and re-fit.

After this is done for both sides you must cut the carpet in order for the bracket to come out ... you can handle this one on your own.

Once this is all done for both sides you are ready to mount the bar and tighten it up.

overall time required (if not in a big hurry): about one hour

good luck
Old 04-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

That front bar looks identical to my Whiteline Rear Strut Bar.

Doode,please do some better pics, I have no clue here.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:35 PM

alright man... ill play around on the computer a bit but im terrible with paint and stuff like that... give me a couple of hours and ill update.

btw... do you have any pics of your car's trunk without the side paneling on... like any pics showing the rear strut mounts and stuff.... i'd rather not take it all apart again.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:41 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah pics are a must, at least show us the final product.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:58 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cdogtibby1 @ Apr 7 2006, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>btw... do you have any pics of your car's trunk without the side paneling on... like any pics showing the rear strut mounts and stuff.... i'd rather not take it all apart again.</div>

No, I don't.

LOL

Just put up pics of the before and after, we can get the idea from there. And put up regular size pics.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:05 PM

at least resize the pic you provided of the cut there
Old 04-07-2006, 06:07 PM

i do apologize for me being a dumbarse... it happens.

Here are your pictures... btw, i dont have a before picture... but all you need to do is look at your trunk and you will get the basic idea. also, sorry for the blurry pic of the finished product, i dont have a very good digital camera

Finished product

Here are your cuts... this should give you a better idea

Right side

Left Side

also... for an added bonus, get one of these (universal floor bar off ebay... mine needed a little work to fit but it works just great)

I HIGHLY recommend this stuff... Mothers Power Metal Polish (for aluminum) works great - 8 bucks at wal-mart

Old 04-07-2006, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

NO pics of the bracket after you cut it?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:06 PM

edit for alex01... and redz

here are some more pics...

REMOVAL OF STUFF ON OUTSIDE

5 screws total

3 10mm bolts and one screw on the right side

bracket pics (these are the actual ones guys... thank u, thank u)

bumped for those of you who were askin the questions... sorry guys
Old 04-07-2006, 07:51 PM

That center bar kicks ass after you trim it doesn't it?

My wife does Vinyl Covers for the center and foot areas of them mang, let me know if you want them.

As for the rear, looks really good except for that one nut barely holding on. I'd get something to fix that bro, that can't be good. maybe have a new bracket cut out for you? Or back it up some more? Maybe bend the bracket a bit so you can just drill a new hole?