DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy : Auto Transmission Cooler

Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

So finally, after a few asked for it here is the DIY dirt cheap Automatic Transmission Cooler!!! cool.gif

<span style="color:Red">Please take note that this was done on a J2, on a XD/GK the OEM hose lenght and fitments might not be the same!</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Things you will need ;</span>

Wrench or Ratchet (size depends on the bolts you'll be using) mine was 7/16
Flat screwdriver

2 bolts & nuts
4 washers

about 48 inches of AT cooling hose (5/16 in diameter) - it cost me 15$ for 60 inches.

2 Worm Gear Clamps or T-Clamps

1 Transmission cooler : I bought a 94 Sonata cooler, it's cheap and easy to find, mine cost me 14$

1 quart of SPIII

-------------------------------------------------

The installation is pretty easy to do, the cooler need to be instaled BEFORE the radiator, so that the transmission is at optimal temperature, if you put the cooler after the radiator you might end up lowering too much the temperature of the transmission and this might cause damages.

Should be like that ;

<span style="color:Red">AT -> cooler -> Radiator -> AT</span>

- You first need to clean the cooler, if like me you bought it from a junkyard, else it's not needed.

- The cooler will be installed on the center bar that holds the hood clamp, there are 2 holes there that fit EXACTLY the Sonata cooler supports.

= J2 OWNER ONLY =
- You have to remove the plastic cover that is between the frame and the bumper cover, it's hold in place by plastic "snaps", this is where the flat screwdriver is needed.

= XD OWNER ONLY =
- I don't own a XD, but from what I can remember and what I can see on pictures, the horn need to be removed temporarily or relocated, no plastic need to be removed to acces that area of the car.

- Then you need to identify the hoses that are on top of the transmission, and you will unplug the "OUT" hose.

- You then pass that hose on the side of the radiator so it will be between the radiator and the bumper.

- With a clamp, install the hose on the cooler.

- Install the 48 inches AT oil hoses you bought.

- Pass that hose beside the radiator from the bumper area to the engine compartment.

- Install the new hose on the "OUT" outlet on the transmission.

- Now it's time to secure the cooler! laugh.gif Slide the cooler from the top, you might need to turn and twist the cooler a little, there is just enough space to slide it there, don't force it as you might break something (the cooler itself or the radiator). Now take the bolts and washers, put the 2 support just in front of the frame and slide the bolts(with the washers) in.

- Secure everything and BAM! ... the cooler is installed!!! laugh.gif

- Finally when you take the car out for a ride, don't forget to check the oil level, if you miss any, fill it with the SPIII (or SPII for J2) quart.

-------------------------------------------------

Some pictures of the installed cooler ;

Old 05-09-2007, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 02 Accent

Wow good DIY...but doesnt the autotragics have a trans cooler? it should be built into the stock radiator, i know i needed a new radiator and i bought one out of an autotragic tiburon and it has to lines on the bottom of the radiator for trans fuild....i'm thinking about using them as an oil cooler....
Old 05-10-2007, 05:03 AM

I got to check on this one.I dont think the j2s have a cooler.I'm pretty sure the dont I cant find anything on it in my Haynes book.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:42 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

Yeah the automatic transmission oil goes into the radiator to be cooled, but it's not that effective, hence the installation of a cooler, I also stated that in the write up :

AT -> Cooler -> Radiator -> AT

As I also said you better let the oil go in the radiator AFTER it went in the cooler, that way it will ensure the oil stays in the right temperature range for the transmission to function properly.