DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy = Checking Your Tps Model.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

This is just a quick lesson on what the TPS is, and what you are looking for when we tell you to check.

Your TPS is the little sensor on your Throttle Body (TB), that measures how far open it is.

There are 2 models that are OEM.

The first is the Dae Sung. This one is BAD, and is on a Technical Service Bulliten at your Hyundai Dealer. If you are still under warranty, it can be replaced for free.

^^^
Dae Sung TPS.

The second is the Keifco. This is the GOOD one, and usually what you will get replaced with. This is the one you want when you go part hunting.

^^^
Keifco TPS.

There are some Bosch ones and others out there that work, but I have never seen them.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have a Bosch at home, but i never tested it.

ill add this to the listing too i suppose
Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You DO know that you have to proove that there is a problem with YOUR TPS sensor. Hyundai won't just replace them because there's a TB on them. A TB is not a recall, just information to help the tech troubleshoot. I tried to get them to change mine because of the problems I was experiencing on my car and they said "no fault found"... I just said f*** it and bought one. It fixed the problem
Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 PM

1. I never said there was a recall.

2. Going in with erratic driving and CEL's showing a TPS is proof.

3. I got mine replaced for free.

4. TB? What? The TPS goes on the TB, not the other way around you moron.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM

lol he meant tsb im sure. dtn, you gotta get your wording right man. as dumb as this diy sounds to some, it will be helpful for many of the newer people.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ yeah, I read maufacturer technical bullitins as a part of my job. When there is a problem, or update, or troubleshooting tip, they'll release a TB. Hyundai likes to release TSBs though.

I agree with you and that's why I had to post this info.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jun 21 2007, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>1. I never said there was a recall.

2. Going in with erratic driving and CEL's showing a TPS is proof.

3. I got mine replaced for free.

4. TB? What? The TPS goes on the TB, not the other way around you moron.</div>
1. Yeah, it's a TSB, which means it's a troubleshooting tool, not a gauranteed replacement.

2. A TPS can go bad without throwing a CEL. Mine was eratically idling, shooting way up in idle when I pressed on the gas, not responding predictablly, but it did not throw a CEL.

3. I had to pay for mine because some dealerships are not all about replacing parts with no "hard" fault

4. TB = Technical Bullitin. I forgot they put the word Service in there from Hyundai. No need for name calling.

For those of you who are experiencing the symptoms of a bad TPS, pulling the plug on the TPS and turning the car on and off a few times will store a code for the dealership and complete the requirements for a warranty replacement of the DaeSung TPS. Mine went bad with no code and I had to buy one myself because it was so annoying.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I changed a Kefico TPS that went bad. i have never used a Dae Sung one. a bit OT, the Scoupe use the Bosch type and i have never seen one gone bad.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 PM

Actually, it IS a guaranteed replacement, if you are under warranty.

Gotta read the TSB for it, it's posted all over the place here.

This DIY was posted for the 4 to 5 folks that ask me where the TPS is and how to check who makes it, every MONTH.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon Fx

So the point of this thread, I feel wad not made. What do we check, how do we check? What are the voltages for WOT and closed. Yeah, I know, I'll wait for the comments about bringing it back after 7 years.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

You check to see if it says "DAE SUNG" or "KEFICO".

They're equivalent parts, but the Dae Sung TPS is known to have issues and be far less reliable than the Kefico version.

If you have a Dae Sung TPS and driveability issues it's pretty much the first place to look. Sometimes reading live data from the ECU you can see the TPS jumping or reading in very non linear ways or zeroing out. Sometimes it isn't obvious enough for that though.