DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

broken bolt

Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default broken bolt

snapped the bolt off of my camshaft position sensor, leaving the rest of the bolt lodged in the cylinder head, flush with the surface. is there an good sealants out there hat will hold this sucker ( cam pos sensor) on without bolt?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

No, not really. Get a set of reverse drill bits and some EZ outs and just pull the bolt.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

cool, i'll have to goto a harbor freight and pick up a set.

that is a tight fit, great
Old 01-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Please dont pick up Ez outs from Harbor Frieght, go get a quality set, as if you break off a tip, your not getting that bolt out, and then your double f*cked... I hate harbor frieght, all they sale are cheap as tools, for good deals i might say, but there sh*t isnt worth drama.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Didn't they used to be called China Freight?

Anyway, as stated EZ-Outs are not a tool to skimp on, as they are already the tool of 2nd-to-last resort. Last resort involves almost certain damage to the head. If you can't afford EZ-outs, and if you have a dremel with a small cut off wheel AND if you have a steady hand, you can turn your broken bolt into a flat-headed screw. If you're lucky, it will come out. For good measure, after cutting the bolt but before trying to remove it, let the thing soak in penetrating oil (NOT WD-40) and heat it with a hair dryer first until it's too warm to touch comfortably.

Good luck.