Diode Dynamics
Sponsor:   Diode Dynamics
Specializing in the creation and distribution of automotive lighting, Diode
Dynamics can help you customize your ride!
https://www.diodedynamics.com/

Always on fog lights

Old 03-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE
Default Always on fog lights

I saw on your website that you have an "always on" fog light adapter for Tiberons. Any idea if something like this is going to be made for the new Sonata? With where I work (I work on a military base) it would be outstanding if after I turn off my headlights the fog lights could stay on.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

if u want them to be on no matter what wire the bulbs directly to your ignition switch, or anything that is only on when ur key is in like your cigarette lighter...

i can get u electrical diagrams for your car for what wires to look for, just tell me the make/year/engine
Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

He has a 2011 Sonata, as shown in his member info.

Muffin's right. All you need to do is wire it to an ignition wire. However, if you want to control when they come on, you can cut the power wire and re-wire it to your side marker/parking lights, so the fog lights will be activated by your headlight switch when it's turned to parking lights before you turn on your headlights.

This seems like the easiest option. That way, when you're spying on your girlfriend, or tailing a fugitive, you can go all dark and not have your fog lights give you away.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM

I would like them to be still operated by the fog light switch. My PT Cruiser was factory set up this way and it made going through the gate nice. Turn off the headlights so as to not blind the guards but still able to see.

While we are on the subject. How hard is it to swap out for LED fog lights to make the light as white as the HID's?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

u can add LED's with resistors in place of the bulbs...

for the switch, since it runs through a relay it would be alot easier to look at a wiring diagram; to find out where the switched wire belongs ect.

idk what engine u got, theres like 4 options for the 2011 sonata isnt there?

im gonna check tomorrow, chances are they are all the same anyway...
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM

On HMAService.com it says Theta II 2.4L GDI is my engine, looking for a schematic now. However, if it looks to involve alot of cutting and splicing I will most likely just deal with the setup as it stands ... no need to void out my warantee 2 months into a 10 year deal.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

You have projectors, so the light should be limited and shouldn't be blinding the guards.

The best way to do it in my opinion is to find the power wire with your side markers - tap the new wire into that power wire (NOT the turn signal flash wire) and tap the other end of the wire into the fog light power wire.

If it doesn't work, just take the wire off. Nothing's been cut, you've just used a wire tap or stripped the wire which can be fixed by wrapping it with electrical tape.

The end result will be one of two things, depending on how they've wired the switch. It will either

1. Your switch won't work, but fogs will ALWAYS BE ON when your side markers (parking lights) are on - which includes headlights being on, or...

2. It will allow the switch to activate the fogs anytime you have parking lights on OR headlights on.

If the switch controls both a positive and negative OR just the negative connection, it should be results #2. If the relay controls just the power to the fog, then it's likely result #1. Either way I believe you've accomplished your objective.