Detailer's Domain
Sponsor:  Detailers Domain
Detailer's Domain is a reseller of niche automotive car care products. Sourcing high-end wax & car care systems from Swissvax, Menzerna, Einszett & other boutique brands.
http://www.detailersdomain.com

New Vehicle - Help me Protect the paint!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default New Vehicle - Help me Protect the paint!

My last Genesis had rock chips out the wazoo! Seriously, the front bumper looked like the victim of buckshot by the time I hit 20,000 miles.

I just bought my 2013 Genesis and I know a few other members are looking to upgrade and are asking me about protecting the super thin paint. Unfortunately, I'm clueless and can merely point them to your website.

The paint from the dealership doesn't look too bad, very minimal swirls from what I can tell. BUT, I want to protect it! This is a very beautiful white pearl and I want to keep it mint. Can you give me a few wax/shampoo recommendations to start out with? I don't really want to spend more than $100, I just want a few products to keep it protected from swirls, chips, and nicks.

I have an orbital buffer but I've never taken it out of the box. I'm afraid I'll do more harm than good, so I plan to just do it all by hand.

What's a good starter package for noobs concerned with paint protection?

Can you give me some insight on the Polymer Netshield?

https://detailersdomain.com/SONAX-Po...ld-_p_814.html

Products I'm looking to purchase:

SONAX Carnauba - https://detailersdomain.com/SONAX-Pr...-ml_p_341.html - $55

Towels - https://detailersdomain.com/10-Pack-...wel_p_839.html - $25

Wheel brush - https://detailersdomain.com/Wheel-Wo...lie_p_889.html - $20
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

When I had my 08 and my 12 the paint chipped so easily! I don't know what Hyundai uses for paint but I hate it. I know someone that has the 3m Clear Bra protector. I am looking into getting it for my Subaru however there are no authorized 3m dealers here in VT. An authorized dealer has to install it because the warranty that 3m issues holds. Look into the 3m clear bra.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Administrator

I was looking into having the entire bumper/hood protected with 3M so there wouldn't be any lines. Surely you don't wax over the clear bra, so how do you protect it?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM

All this info is directly from their website.

Q.How do I remove a scratch or swirl mark from my Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?

A.You can treat Scotchgard film just as you treat paint. 3M Car Care products, like 3M™ One Step Cleaner Wax or 3M™ Scratch Remover, can be used to remove light scratches.

Q.How is Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film maintained?

A.Once applied, refrain from washing the vehicle in an automated car wash for 24 hours. Washing after that time presents no problem, and regular waxing helps maintain the beauty of Scotchgard film.

Q.Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?

A.Yes. 3M recommends you wax your vehicle with 3M™ Performance Finish Synthetic Wax (3M Part #39030). If wax or dirt builds up along the Scotchgard film edges, use a 3M™ Microfiber Detail Cloth (3M Part #06016) to remove it. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used.

Q.What products does 3M recommend to best maintain Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?

A.3M makes a variety of products to help maintain the beauty of your vehicle. View our 3M Car Care Products website. Start with 3M™ Car Wash Soap (3M Part #39000), follow up with 3M™ Performance Finish Synthetic Wax (3M Part #39030) using a 3M™ Microfiber Detail Cloth (3M Part #06016). Other cloths may scratch the surface of the Scotchgard film.

Q.How can I remove bug acid stains from Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?

A.First, try this immediately – wash with soap and warm water. If that doesn’t remove it completely, use rubbing alcohol on the stain. After this, let the vehicle sit in the sun to help bleach the stains. This may take a few days and you should not wax Scotchgard film until the stains are gone.

Q.Does heat affect the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film's performance?

A.No. Scotchgard film was designed to meet Automotive OEM requirements.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Administrator

ah.... so maybe the Polymer Netshield would be good for applying on 3M clear bra
Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 PM

I am really considering doing this to my Subaru. I am at the point where I am willing to drive to do so. Nearest certified installer to me is in Massachusetts. Over a 2 hour drive.

Edit: Kate31 has the clear bra on her MD. I believe she installed it herself.