Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Worlds First 8K TV

Old 09-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Worlds First 8K TV

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/17/tech...-tv/index.html

Sharp will begin selling the world's first 8K television just in time for Halloween.

Interested? You'd better be prepared to pay up. The 85-inch "LV-85001" ultra-high definition TV set will cost you ¥16 million ($133,000) when it goes on sale October 30.

There is another big caveat: There is hardly any 8K video to watch (heck, there is hardly any 4K programming available). Google (GOOGL, Tech30) made a big stink in June when it announced that its "Ghost Towns" YouTube video was available in 8K -- before any 8K monitors were in production.

The 8K TV standard has a resolution of 7680 x 4320 pixels. That means there are nearly 38 million pixels on the screen.

8K offers four times the resolution of 4K TVs (9 million pixels and a 4096 x 2160 resolution) and 16 times the resolution of a 1080p HDTV (2 million pixels with a 1920 x 1080 resolution).

Though 4K (let alone 8K) is still a rarity, the television industry is pushing hard to increase the standard broadcast resolution from HD to "ultra-HD" in the next few years. But there doesn't appear to be too much momentum behind that push.

To watch an 8K video on Sharp's new LV-85001, you'll have to use all four HDMI connectors and have a computer that supports 8K video output.

That's why Sharp says it is targeting "mainly corporate users" for the new LV-85001 8K TV. It suggested that museums might want to display art using the new TV, and industrial designers could use them to display blueprints.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I work in construction design where I use dual 32" monitors with 2560x1440 resolution to run Autocad and Navisworks. I only went with this setup due to budget reasons, but I truly wanted dual 32" with 4k. I feel like my monitor resolution is bare minimum to be efficient at what I do. There is definitely a noticeable difference stepping up to 4k. But there was additional hardware required and the reliability of it for my software wasn't there at the time.

Now, for displaying my work in a conference setting, I can totally see 8k being required for an 80"+ television. Presentations would be killer.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I want a 4k monitor/tv. 8k will probably never really be mainstream I suspect something other than pixels will be invented before that happens. Would be nice in specialty applications though.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Youtube already supports 8k and my first 3D project due out in spring of 2016 is rendered 8k in 90fps.

The problem with 8K currently is that the current fiver infrastructural wont support it on a large scale. But now that 1TB copper has been cracked and fiber is about to get a HUGE boost (40TB is theoretically possible now), internet providers can soon promise reliable service in premium areas. Though expect another decade for full adoption of the hardware and even longer for implementation and system-wide 8k offerings.

Also keep in mind that 8K has no codec standard like 4k or connector standard yet. 4K just a year or so ago saw a cabling standard that allows for a single HDMI plug, and 8k currently relies on 4 independent HDMI 2.0 cables for signal which in and of itself has it's own issue around progressive image sync.

It's still very early.