Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Win10 reaction to turning things off

Old 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tiburon
Default Win10 reaction to turning things off

Video of what happens in Windows 10 when you start turning off privacy settings and removing default programs and apps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8N72t7aScY

Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Why I still have Win7, Win XP and 98SE.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Step 1: do not install Windows 10

Step 2: there is no step 2.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I have Win10 on my work laptop, and it's not too bad.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I've done a lot of thorough research on this. I was firmly in the "Don't ever install Windows 10" camp until doing so. Here's why I changed my mind:

You can disable most of the "spying" features. A lot of the requirements of new features such as Cortana, cloud storage, and integration with Bing/Edge require EULA permissions that were not required with prior Windows editions. Most of those Orwellian permissions are feature specific and are present in other competing applications of similar types, such as Siri and "Ok Google" searches, Dropbox, and Google Drive.

The worst sounding and most often quoted EULA sections apply to a variety of Microsoft products, however they don't apply to any version of Windows itself. They apply to some applications included in Windows, including versions other than 10.

Is Microsoft sending recorded sounds to their servers if you have that turned on? Yes. The Kinect and Cortana require this to figure out what you're saying and if activated they're in a constant-on state listening to your commands. There's no way to do an internet search by voice without listening to your conversation. If you turn this feature off no conversations are recorded or sent anywhere.

Is Microsoft scanning your hard drive for content or pirated software? No. If you try to update an illegitimate version of Microsoft software it is possible that an update will disable it. That's no different than previous versions.

For some odd reason I kind of want to hate Windows 10 and Microsoft's EULA, but really reading other EULAs is just as scary. Apple's is downright terrifying in comparison. Google doesn't do much better. I'm running XP, 7, 8.1, and 10 at home. At this point the only reason not to run 10 in my opinion is that some torrent and pirating sites are not allowing you access from Windows 10. If that's not an issue for you just follow one of the tutorials online to turn off the features you don't want for data sharing.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

I don't want 10 because I don't want apps on my computer. I like my desktop just the way it is. It ain't broke and don't need fixin'.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Really with Windows 10 you just get an expanded start menu with Win 7 style desktop widgets that can live there. You have a full desktop.

Windows 8 was an abomination. Win 8.1 fixed a lot of those issues and effectively made the start menu pop onto its own screen which was different but functionally worked fine. Windows 10 takes some of the content from the apps screen and puts it in the Start menu along with the stuff you are familiar with seeing.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

I want only the things I'm familiar with. I don't understand why companies insist on "improving" stuff nobody asked to be "improved". Change for change's sake is just plain stupid. If windows 10 looked identical to Win7, functioned identically to Win7, but was simply a "behind the scenes" improvement, I'd get it.