Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

What's your data storage method?

Old 06-22-2016, 10:00 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by i8acobra
That's cool, unless your house burns down. Kinda the point of "off site" or a fire safe.
There is nothing stopping someone from placing said raspberry pi and drive in a fire proof box, or using the sync feature on multiple computers. I use offsite backup via owncloud.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Originally Posted by donnie
I was looking at these at Best Buy. I had a few questions, but of course couldn't find anyone in that section to answer my questions.

Can you lock certain folders from family members? Can anyone over-write data on them, or store data to them? I just don't know how access works on them. Maybe I should have a master drive, then a "kids" drive?
Old 06-23-2016, 10:44 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The My Cloud says it can use samba or windows file sharing. You should be able to set the user permissions per-folder.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I just bought a MyCloud 4TB. Maybe it's because I'm old, but there seems to be a steep learning curve in this. Especially since there were NO fvcking directions! They give you a link to install the app and that's it. Anyone else have one?