Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Upgrading my desktop

Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 tiburon
Default Upgrading my desktop

I use my Toshiba Satelite laptop 99% of the time, but I have an old desktop that Im going to upgrade. It has a 2.2 celeron processor, Win xp, small 16" crt monitor, 1G (DDR pc2700) of ram, and 250G hard drive. I bought a new 19" widescreen monitor (only $18 from a local recycling shop) and I bought another stick of 1G DDR PC3200 memory off Crucial.com. It was kind of slow with just 1G in it, so by adding the 2nd stick, will I see any kind of better performance? I'll probably use the computer mainly just for surfing the net and maybe some graphic stuff once in awhile.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You should notice an increase in speed.... You'd be at 1/2 of the minimum requirements for modern computers. Win7 recommends 4gigs of memory. Ubuntu 11.04 recommends 2 gigs. WindowsXP is a 11 year old Operating System. You should look at buying ALOT more then an extra gig of memory.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

sounds like a pretty old machine, but the bump in memory will yield a decent performance boost.

my wife uses my 6+ yr old dell laptop with a 1.5ghz celeron and 1GB of ram and runs photoshop plenty fine.

if you are just going to use it for mild stuff like surfing the net and some mild-medium photoshop stuff, you should be plenty fine. wont be as fast as a new core i5 and 8GB of ram, but will not be bad.