Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

talk to me about linux

Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default talk to me about linux

so i turned on my old pile of sh*t pc in order to turn it into a media center for the spare bedroom and low and behold! instant virus.

well, it is an xp after all

any who, since putting a new windows operating system would be more expensive than the pc its attached to Ive been looking for alternatives

Im thinkin of going to linux on this one, at this point it the pc needs to play movies and watch netflix/surf web.

either that or i have access to windows 7 embedded.

thoughts?
Old 01-16-2015, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

No realexperience with Linux here except using Ubuntu in High School to get around the internet security and blocks.

If its new enough I'd download windows 7 or borrow a friends disk, then activate it with "Windows Loader"
Old 01-16-2015, 05:54 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm a 3x certified Linux system admin. You would be better off installing a light weight desktop manager distribution. Some of the distros you might be interested in are:

LUbuntu- Lightweight Ubuntu

Debian - where Ubuntu comes from

XBMC - a media center which runs a customized, minimal version of Debian which has media codecs installed

Once you make your decision, ping me on hangouts if you'd like Adamoutler a gmail.com. I can help you install chrome and Netflix. Its not difficult, you just have to surf the web and copy-pasta. You will be stuck with Firefox as the default browser on most Linux distributions.