Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

single vs dual monitor

Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tiburon
Default single vs dual monitor

any reason to run them? advantage? disadvantage? i want to run them just cuz i can. two outputs on my ati radeon 5770 and bling factor always a plus...plus mondo screen space...what do you think?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

On my personal workstation, I would never run a single monitor. Having dual monitors allows for so much extra work to be accomplished. I will now list examples.

1. gaming

With modern computer games, having more monitors means the action becomes more realistic. You can have a full field of fiew which requires you to move your eyes around just as you would in real life

2. Internet,

When viewing a webpage, it's nice to be able to flip back and fourth between google, a webpage and your email. This is an advantage which normally requires two small windows or flipping back and forth between windows.

3. Programming

When programming, you need to be able to reference syntax and reference manuals continuously. Traditionally this meant that you had a manual on your desk and your program on screen. These days, you simply use two monitors to reference and write.

4. Virtual machines

When running multiple operating systems on the same machine (linux, windows, OS X), you need to be able to supply adequate room for each window to be displayed properly. This requires multiple monitors as the operating systems were designed to operate full screen. When seemlessly transitioning between virtual machines it is a very nice feature to be able to drag and drop text from the window to the VM and back.

Overall, having two monitors allows nearly 1.5 times the work to be acomplished and extends gaming abilities. I only use single screen for mobility purposes. Power users require multiple screens.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

tons of reasons to run them...

how about 2X desktop space/workspace...

can work on one and have a movie going on the other...

some programs have a lot of useful toolbars, which you can have on one monitor with the other monitor being almost totally usable space..

surf internet on one and work/watch media on the other without having to switch back and forth.

real nice not having to close a window to get back to another..

i know i would DIE at work with only one monitor. i have autoCAD open on one monitor.. the other is for outlook, BST, Adobe, word, etc.

there is no disadvantage unless you consider the price and reduced space on your work station to use.. but you can always get something like this.

this is my setup at work, and i couldnt live without it.. its almost not enough space sometimes for me.. thankfully they are upgrading my system to dual 19" widescreens soon.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I work SOOOO much more efficiently with dual monitors at work!!! I do a lot of data analysis, documentation, always working in Excel and Word. It takes multi-tasking to a whole new level. AWESOME!

About 3 years ago our company offered to buy anyone a dual monitor setup if they requested one by the end of the month. A survey came out supporting that people are 40% more efficient with a second monitor. When I walk around the other floors at our office building, 90% of the time I see people using one screen solely for Outlook. they obviously aren't busy enough

I'm always running 8-10 applications simultaneously (and 4-5 tabs in IE). After using dual monitors for about 3 years, I'd DIE without them!!

two 20" widescreen monitors FTMFW!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I've got (count 'em) FOUR monitors at my station. I consider this to be excessive. I would be sucking wind with one, hurting with 2, and I mostly use the 4th for the odd comparison when I don't want to cover up my other stuff.

Yes, four. It is awesome.

Oh, but I wanted to say: beware the widescreens. Unless they are HUGE, you may feel like you are taking a downgrade because the aspect ratio means they are SHORT vertically.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
DTN

^^pics or it didn't happen.

Really, post a picture. What do you use your workstation for?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 PM
DTN

I find 1080p widescreens to be a bit on the short side as well. It should be a taller monitor.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

In this case, we have instant messenger/windows Explorer, reviewing photos for work, This thread, and a scratch pad I use to keep notes on stuff. Photoshop is hiding under Firefox b/c I only use one of those at a time, and mostly just on the primary monitor.

Yes my desk is messy. Deal with it.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

aspect ratio? I've got my resolution set at 1680x1050 and looooove it. I don't run any windows maximized, unless I'm stretching an excel doc across both monitors or doing data analysis and need to be able to view all the fields.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

1000-ish pixels is a reasonable height. Some of the 'wide' screens are like 900 or less, which is just too short.