Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Should I buy a TV online?

Old 09-11-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Should I buy a TV online?

The initial pricing is about the same no matter where you go. Some online retailers offer free shipping, like Newegg which is where I'm looking to buy. But, I'd also be eliminating taxes which would save $150. Is there any reason why not to purchase an item like this online?

I'm a big Samsung fan. I haven't bought a nice tv for the living room in 15 years, so I figured I'd go big. Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-118-_-Product

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I buy a lot of stuff from Newegg and Amazon. Only problem I've ever had was with Newegg and only twice. I was sent a damaged computer monitor and was once sent the wrong item. Both times, they exchanged the item and covered the return shipping. I'd say go for it.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:19 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah there's nothing wrong with purchasing stuff online. But when looking at a TV, one of the more common mistakes is people try to get everything in the TV. The TV is an output device, and it should never be treated as an all-in-one. If you try to make it an all-in-one, you end up with something that goes obsolete pretty darn quick.

I wouldn't focus on anything except the color accuracy, reproduction, audio, and durability. You can add things that make your TV into a smart TV, like a Nvidia shield, Amazon Fire, or Apple TV. They are also much more easy to upgrade in the future.

If you make the consumer mistake of buying a "Smart TV", you've fallen into a trap where your TV becomes obsolete as quick as your computer does. Personally I've had my TV for 7 years and it is a dumb TV, but the Nvidia shield box on the back makes it smarter than most.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Are you referring to the tv I've chosen? I'm not ever looking at the apps capability when chosing the tv. I just chose that one for the SUHD, thin bezel and depth, 240MR, and being a Samsung. We only use our tv's for watching Directv and movies.