Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

PS3 YLOD

Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default PS3 YLOD

I don't game much, and don't know jack about opening up the system except to remove 3 cd's that my 2yo crammed in there. My 8yo stepson plays the sh*t out of the PS3 and sometimes forgets to turn it off. I yelled at him everyday for it, but you know.......

So, I now have the yellow light of death.....I think. It blinks yellow once, quickly, then stays red and shuts down. I've read that leaving the PS3 on it's side does this. IDK if it's true. A lot of kids write these DIY's and articles.

Anyways, they say by taking out the board, heating it up with a gun, and putting new paste on the CPU should fix it.

Anyone else done this or have experience? Should I just take it to someone more knowledgeable?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I stopped playing video games back in XBOX(original) era. I don't know much about PS3.

I can tell you that is a good way to repair surface mount components. It's pretty standard. You can get new heat sink compound at Radio shack. It won't hurt to tape up the board before you start. Keep in mind that you're melting the solder so any movements or vibrations will absolutely kill the unit.

This is the way you reflow solder. If it will work, I dunno.. You won't have any broken joints on your components when you get done though. Make sure you read up on it before you start. You could make it worse easily. If you have as much experience as you say you do, read at least 10 articles about people who have done it.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2013 Veloster

I had the YLOD last year and was able to open it up and do the heatgun trick and it did work again. However it only worked for a couple months or so. I did the fix 3 or 4 times I think and then it just wouldn't work any more regardless of what I did.

But for a temporary fix it does work and you can get a few more months out of it at least. I ended up buying a cooling pad for a laptop and putting it underneath to help with the heat, because PS3's get damn hot when in use.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I just read this post again... I forgot to mention to use a heatgun or oven to get the board up to 550 degrees. Test. 650 if that does not work, then 750