Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

One way trip to Mars

Old 02-23-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent
Default One way trip to Mars

http://abc7news.com/travel/bay-area-...e-mars/522614/

BAY AREA RESIDENTS AMONG THOSE SELECTED TO BEGIN TRAINING TO COLONIZE MARS

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Here's a question -- would you be willing to live forever in the history books, but perhaps never be here to see it? The pool of candidates willing to move to the Red Planet has narrowed down to 100 people, and several of them are from the Bay Area.

Imagine leaving the comforts of home to live on Mars, a cold hostile place. And once the colonists arrive, there's no coming back.

Peter Felgentreff is perfectly happy at his Montara home and enjoying his career in tech, but he's willing to leave it all behind.

The 50-year-old is 1 of a 100 people selected begin training to colonize Mars. The 100 were narrowed down from a pool of more than 200,000 men and women from all over the world.

"I think, ultimately, it has to do with me being able to work with people and being able to be in an environment that could be very monotonous at times, but someone who could still stay engaged," he said.

The nonprofit Mars One Foundation will be setting up outposts on remote corners of the earth to train the 100 candidates this fall.

Their training will include scenarios of what could happen during their time on Mars, like running out of water or dealing with a malfunctioning air supply unit.

Kenya Armbrister of Oakland doesn't seem fazed by any of it. The 36-year-old is also among the 100 candidates selected.

"To be able to go to Mars is not only just for me, it's for the whole human race to, you know, to move forward in the universe," she said.

After the fall training session, the candidates will be narrowed down again to the final 24. If all goes according to plan, the first group could be on Mars in 10 years.

It's a one way ticket, so if Felgentreff makes it to the final round, he'll have to say so long to his wife.

"You know, I love my wife dearly, she's been a wonderful supporter of this entire thing and this adventure, but I'm not there yet, am I?" Felgentreff said.

The 24 men and women will be announced by the end of the year.

How soon before these people realize they made a terrible mistake and go ?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would totally go. I have different values than most people though. A chance to pioneer on another planet is the ultimate opportunity in my opinion. I would rather the conditions would be a bit more favorable, but as long as I believed in the engineering (they're not currently there but I think they will be by launch time) I would go in a heartbeat.

I did apply, but didn't submit a video for the second phase so I wasn't considered.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I give it 6 months before these people go nuts and start offing each other like in The Shining

Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Administrator

That will make for good tv lol.

I've heard it said that anyone willing to go on a one way trip to Mars would fail the psychological exam. They might be right. I think a bunch of introverts might be the best bet. People that don't like working together unless they have to. Give them all enough space to sit in a tube and read and they might not kill each other.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Administrator

They would need modern day things to make it a normal life as if they were still on Earth. So tv, video games, phones to call back to Earth and speak with other people, etc. Or they could just shuttle up some Amish people who never had those luxuries, so they wouldnt be missing anything once they are on Mars. lol
Old 02-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Genesis 2.0

So 24 people that are 12 men and 12 women. You know theres gonna be some bumpin and grindin goin on with each other so if babys start popping out, they better have a way to handle those situations. Could be the beginning of a new colonization.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Administrator

I'm going to guess that all of one sex will be sterilized prior to liftoff.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

We've tried self-contained habitats before and it all ended in tears pretty fast. I hope SOMEBODY has the sense to set these colonists up with their planned habitat/station on Earth for a while before they commit to doing it for real on Mars.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 AM
Administrator