Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Official Android Crew

Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

yeah... $100 deductible.

I hadn't bought a case/screen yet because I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it. My Palm Pre is pretty bad ass... still not sure what I'm going to stick with.

I'm going to pay the $100 and replace the phone, but then might put the new one up on Craigslist or eBay for $200+
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A case is a must with any smart phone. A computer has so many electronic components that it only makes sense to protect it. Smart phones generally have a large glass area as well.

A case is insurance. Not only against breakage, but also loss of value from avoidable scratches. My iPhone has a full case and an anti glare screen protector. It does not impare operation. It is an added level of protection which eliminates the need to pay a monthly charge and a deductible.

Sorry to come in the android thread with an iPhone. The Evo is my favorite phone and I would buy an Otter brand case to protect it.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator

well... the thing is so damn big. I hate to put a case on it and make it even bigger. A hip/belt case feels like I'm carrying a gun.

The reason it wasn't in my pocket to begin with is because it's so damn big. A case just... well, makes it bigger. My wife has a rubber surround on hers, but the screen is still exposed (less the zagg invisible shield) since it's entirely touch. Not sure if that would've protected it.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

haha so i figured id share this...

i just installed an app called remotedroid

It allows me to use my phone as a virtual keyboard and mouse and typed this from across the room using my phones keyboard and the touchscreen as a trackpad hahaha I ♥ android, gratuitous waste of technology and bandwidth? sure.... fun? oh yeah... haha, oh and im doing all this while using my phone as a wireless tether since the internet here sucks, lol
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 PM
DTN

Thats old stuff. I was doing that in 2001 on my PDA. There are about 1000 apps spanning every platform which use a device as a remote for another. I have quite a few on my phone. Now what I call impressive is, I would hack the TV in the chow hall with my PDA and change the channel. IR isn't used much anymore. It's all 802.11g and a interpreter on the receiving end or set Bluetooth standards.

So yeah... You are almost 10 years late on that one bud.

I want to see apache web servers on everything. Even my mr coffee. I could make coffee and turn on the tv right after my phone wakes me up. Having a web interface allows full control of a device from another device. If there is a web interface, you can easily write a snazzy app to control it. That way we can have the same features we had last decade.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

LoL whatever, im sure you werent using your touch screen as a mouse 10 years ago :-P maybe a track ball or something...

and thats fine, i was still impressed that it worked so flawlessly and it entertained me...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Looks like I'm getting a Droid X and swapping to Verizon soon. I absolutely love my Mytouch 3g Slide, but there's almost no T-Mobile service in my field office area, and no 3g for most of my commute.

If anyone has some in with Verizon or advice, I'd love it.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
DTN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alex01tib @ Aug 4 2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>LoL whatever, im sure you werent using your touch screen as a mouse 10 years ago :-P maybe a track ball or something...

and thats fine, i was still impressed that it worked so flawlessly and it entertained me...</div>

What do you mean? You move your finger across the screen and the mouse goes left right up and down right? It's a track pad. Same deal as a mouse. Now the new hottness is to use the tilt sensor or the camera. For my media center there's an app to control it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY-r-POY3yY . For my Rovio mobile webcam robot there is a android app

http://poignantprojects.blogspot.com/2010/...-available.html

Keyboard and mouse is old and busted.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

I picked up a Droid 2 today. I like it better than my old Droid. Stuff loads faster then the Droid, it looks better (the corners are rounded and its silver and navy not all black), and the keyboard is WAY better. The only downside is that it still ways a ton compared to other phones.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Angry Birds