Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Net neutrality

Old 12-06-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai Tiburon
Default Net neutrality

You guys think the net neutrality rules will change? What if no one can get on forums, social media or netflix/hulu without paying extra? People are not going to be happy.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Ajit Pai is a piece of sh*t and is trying to ruin the Internet.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This is not an open question, it is a near certainty. In just over a week, the FCC will "discuss" this: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...C-347927A1.pdf

and then make the planned Declaratory Ruling, Report and Order, and Order. This will restore things about like they were in 2015. There has been very VERY much "muh end of the Internet" FUD being spread online, and several responses were posted here: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...C-347961A1.pdf

There is nothing for people to vote on. Contacting representatives in Congress will not change the outcome of this pending rule change. The public comment period is passed and they are no longer accepting any input on the subject.

it's happening. You probably won't notice, except for protests staged on social media and some stunts pulled by content delivery networks (read: Netflix, Amazon, Alphabet) to try to draw attention to policies that will suddenly take away their advantage they've been enjoying for a little while.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Stocker
it's happening. You probably won't notice, except for protests staged on social media and some stunts pulled by content delivery networks (read: Netflix, Amazon, Alphabet) to try to draw attention to policies that will suddenly take away their advantage they've been enjoying for a little while.

You'll notice when your bills go up. Yes, they are going to go up. All video and music streaming services will raise their rates to cover the added costs within 6 months of the change.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Originally Posted by i8acobra
You'll notice when your bills go up. Yes, they are going to go up. All video and music streaming services will raise their rates to cover the added costs within 6 months of the change.
And the consumers will adjust to this change and life will go on.

Welcome to the free market. Have a drink.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Sure would be nice to adjust to lower prices every now and then, since all of the "free marketing" is supposed to create competition, according to the talking points.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Yeah! That would be really nice!!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Sure would be nice to adjust to lower prices every now and then, since all of the "free marketing" is supposed to create competition, according to the talking points.
But the idiots keep buying it. Once they stop and finally wake up to the fact that certain things in life really are not necessary, the prices will adjust.

You just keep buying those new I-phones on premium plans, and cable with premium channels, and top speed internet, and subscription services, going out to eat because you're too lazy to cook today....or any day, buy 3-4 "weekend" vehicles,.........etc.

Meanwhile, I'll be putting that $700/mo. into more important things like retirement for a rainy day. Or a good set of ear plugs so I don't hear all the whining coming from the left that think they have it so f*cking bad that they have to type it all out on their $1k I-phone. Give me a break.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Then there's those of us who have 3 year old Droid Turbos, pay $79/mo. for phone service with 2GB of data, no TV service, one streaming subscription (Spotify for my shop), eats out about once a month (I enjoy cooking, and it impresses the females), drive a work truck and own a 19 year old motorcycle, and are still tired of one or more bills going up every two months.

I'll keep dumping money in my shop (getting a 3rd rack soon), while also working for two unions and building up my pensions. I'll be sure to crank up my electronic music so you can hear it through your earplugs.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 AM

Tell us more about your hardships all the while owning 3 vehicles in your sig that you manage to maintain, store, insure, and pay annual registration fees for. When you ride the bus, or that 87 Nissan becomes your only method of transport, then you can complain (and still not about this particular service). These small fees on a non-essential service are not going to ruin your cozy American life.