Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Need a cloning software that will fix bad clusters on HD

Old 05-02-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Elantra
Default Need a cloning software that will fix bad clusters on HD

My Western Digital HD in my laptop is slowly dying. I bought a new Samsung SSD to replace it. Here's my problem:

- Current HD has a lot of bad clusters in. I've done a disc repair through Windows and it went through the whole process.

- The SSD is smaller than my HD

- I've tried every single software out there and none of them work. When I start the cloning process, it gets to about 60 or 70% and then fails because of the bad clusters.

- I want the clusters either fixed or marked as bad and moved so that cloning will just skip them or keep going.

I would prefer to clone the HD to the SSD but if I cant find a software that will work, then I might have to install a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD and move my files by hand over. That's a pain in the ass to do and takes a lot longer which I don't really want to do.

Any advice?

Edit:

Title is misleading. I need either a cloning software that will keep going even with bad clusters, or some software that will fix 100% of the bad clusters by marking them as bad and making a cloning software get to 100%
Old 05-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I have a very hard time believing that you've tried *every* software out there. Many of them have options to force cloning or ignore bad sectors. If you have no backups then a) this is kinda what you get, learn a lesson from it, and b) do not pass go do not collect $200 get your data onto *any* other hard drive even if you have to drag and drop through Windows Explorer

http://bfy.tw/5ZIO