Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Magic Jack

Old 11-17-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Magic Jack

Does anyone currently or have used a Magic Jack. My parents got one but I have heard stories of malware.

Any input on this?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

With any additional service on a computer, comes risk. If it can be controlled by a computer it can be controlled by software which is installed on the computer whether or not the user is aware that they installed it or not.

Only windows XP, vista and windows 7 are supported.

It says here that you will be subjected to spam/advertisements/lies http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/0...eula-says.html

The best advice I can give you is to have a low powered computer dedicated to magic jack. You must leave your computer on at all times, no standby or hibernation. A standard home PC consumes more power then is required to digitize.

Services like Skype seem like a better alternative.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Clark Howard is willing to accept lower quality for a lower price, and he says if you can get a good high speed internet connection, Majic Jack is great. He repeatedly recommends it to callers, including those going overseas.