Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Mac vs PC

Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Mac vs PC

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web....html?hpt=Sbin

(CNN) -- Remember those Apple ads that cast the Mac as a 20-something, self-satisfied hipster while the PC was portrayed by an older, square-looking guy in a brown suit?

Well, those characterizations, unfair as they may be, appear to have some truth to them.

An unscientific survey by Hunch, a site that makes recommendations based on detailed user preferences, found that Mac users tend to be younger, more liberal, more fashion-conscious and more likely to live in cities than people who prefer PCs.

Of the 388,000 Hunch users who responded to a question about computer loyalty, 52% identified themselves as PC people as opposed to 25% who said they are Mac devotees. Hunch then cross-referenced those responses with answers to other questions to draw cultural distinctions between the rival Mac and PC camps.

The results suggest Mac users can be seen, depending on your perspective, as bolder and more creative -- or elitist and more pretentious.

The report found that 67% of Mac users have a college or advanced degree, as opposed to 54% of PC users. Mac loyalists are 80% more likely than PC users to be vegetarians, and, unlike PC fans, would rather ride a Vespa scooter than a Harley.

PC users' tastes trend towards casual clothes, tunafish sandwiches, white wine, Hollywood movies, USA Today and Pepsi. Mac users prefer designer or vintage duds, hummus, red wine, indie films, The New York Times and (we're not making this up) San Pellegrino Limonata.

Mac users also are more likely to describe themselves as computer-savvy and "early adopters." PC users tend to describe themselves as better at math and less likely to throw frequent parties.

"I fit the typical Mac user on every count. Guess I'm not as unique as I thought. Depressing," wrote one commenter on Hunch's blog.

Since Hunch's first survey of Mac vs. PC users in November 2009, Apple has ridden the success of such high-profile products as the iPad and iPhone 4 to become the world's most highly valued tech company. Despite that hot streak, Hunch found that slightly more people in its new report -- 52%, up from 50% a year and a half ago -- now identify themselves as PC users.

Where do you fit in the Mac vs. PC debate? Let us know in the comments below.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Of course Mac users think they're computer savvy... My daughter thinks she's savvy when she uses this..

You get more for your money on a PC.

The problem is that they actually think they've learned something and start calling themselves a guru. It's all in the marketing. There's nothing high tech about Mac. They've used Unix, created an interface with a limited number of popular features and marketed it towards those who don't know much about computers.

Here's a good comparison...

Mac... I know alot about computers

Windows.. I'm learning about computers, it never stops

Linux... There's alot I don't know about computers

The reason for this comparison is the options presented. On Mac, you're basically using a scaled back version of Linux.

Your average Mac user has no idea about the application Finder>Applications>tools>terminal. The Terminal application is capable of running the entire computer, and fixing any problem with the computer. Your average Mac user will never attempt to learn it. They will go to the "Genius Bar" at a Mac store after a google search that says they have to type 3 lines into the terminal.

Here we go... Here's an electronics related comparison

Mac...

Windows..

Linux

Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

"more fashion-conscious" nails it on the head. People who are into the newest trendy items buy based on aesthetics or what's popular rather than functionality or reason. Sure, I can totally agree with that.

Most Mac owners had a college degree, because non-degree holders might not make enough money to waste it on a Mac when a perfectly good PC can be found for 1/3 of the price.

Older and wiser buy PC. Why? I can get a Dell laptop for $500 that lasts for 5+ years, whereas a comparable Mac Book would run 3x the price, even with the same processor.

Oh, and if you break down the stats, only 16% were "Mac devotees"
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Those people in the survey aren't real Mac owners. They are bandwagoneers (I know not a real word) who see a life style they like and instead of being their own person jump on that cause the commercial makes it look cool. It's a stereotype people want to be related to. Those people to me are just dumb. Like Ipods and Iphones, to them it's become a status symbol that makes them feel better. I could honestly care less.

We (me and my girl) have had macs for the last 12 yrs, we have never owned a PC. Although I would own one I just haven't had the need for one yet. I do not consider myself to be a computer pro, in fact just the opposite. I am also not fashion-conscious or trendy. So why do we have macs? It comes from the actual use of Macs where she needed them for school and work (graphic design/ art major) I just happened to learn it along with her and never had a PC. I really like macs but if it was not for that I probably wouldn't have one.

Your average Mac user has no idea about the application Finder>Applications>tools>terminal. The Terminal application is capable of running the entire computer, and fixing any problem with the computer. Your average Mac user will never attempt to learn it. They will go to the "Genius Bar" at a Mac store after a google search that says they have to type 3 lines into the terminal.

This is true, most won't. Why? Cause like most car owners they can't be bothered with oil changes, or why that light on the dash is flashing at them. They just want it fixed and shove it off on someone else to do it. I know what the Terminal is, and what it can do but I never used it, I just never had to. The same thing can be said for alot of PC owners too.

There's nothing high tech about Mac. They've used Unix, created an interface with a limited number of popular features and marketed it towards those who don't know much about computers.

This is actually a good thing for some people lol.

I just think the MAC vs. PC thing is a bunch of BS it's just become a way for people to think they are better than other people, and it has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge or what computer is better.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

All 3 have their place. There are only a few reasons to go with a Mac over Linux though. For the most part the cons are the same with a Mac or with Linux, but Linux has a lot more pros in my opinion. If you're an art major, a Mac makes sense. If you "only want it for internet and email and don't want to worry about viruses" Linux makes more sense than anything. If you want to go to the store and buy software, Windows is for you. The only thing I don't personally have a use for is a Mac.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by Tib001
We (me and my girl) have had macs for the last 12 yrs, we have never owned a PC. Although I would own one I just haven't had the need for one yet. I do not consider myself to be a computer pro, in fact just the opposite. I am also not fashion-conscious or trendy. So why do we have macs? It comes from the actual use of Macs where she needed them for school and work (graphic design/ art major) I just happened to learn it along with her and never had a PC. I really like macs but if it was not for that I probably wouldn't have one.
Fact: Mac is far worse at graphics editing then windows. Why? Software availability and hardware upgrades.

You can't find all the software available for Mac as you can for windows... They've both got the same photoshop, but the lack of other software is where Mac falls behind.

Video software: http://www.googlefig...+video+software

Graphics software: http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Mac+graphics+software&w ord2=windows+graphics+software

You can't change out the graphics cards on most macs and if you are one of the lucky few who can, you've got to find special hardware

hardware upgrade: http://www.googlefig...ardware+upgrade

This is actually a good thing for some people lol.

I just think the MAC vs. PC thing is a bunch of BS it's just become a way for people to think they are better than other people, and it has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge or what computer is better.
I agree. People who own a Mac are those who don't want to be bothered with options, software, compatibility, or functionality. They want a simple computer that they can figure out easily and is pretty.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Fact: Mac is far worse at graphics editing then windows. Why? Software availability and hardware upgrades.

You can't find all the software available for Mac as you can for windows... They've both got the same photoshop, but the lack of other software is where Mac falls behind.

This may be true in todays computers I agree, but 13 years ago when she started using Macs not so much.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Capability doesn't really matter, compatibility does. In the graphics world the tool for the job is considered to be the Mac. If you're industry uses Macs, that's what you use unless you like failing.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

How is this even an argument now that MAC is a PC with a logo on it? If you like the OS get one of your tech savy friends to put it on a PC and save a crap ton of money.

MAC vs. PC was a debate when MAC still ran Moto chips and were different. Now... they are another OS that happens to only show up on over priced hardware.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I can't stand using Mac or Windows.