Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

If you were to start your career in IT right now, what kind of job would you aspire..

Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tibby
Default If you were to start your career in IT right now, what kind of job would you aspire..

to fill?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I've been HEAVILY contemplating a career change for myself.

I'm looking into becoming an Oracle DBA. I actually talked to one of our senior DBAs yesterday to discuss his experiences and suggestions for entering the field.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

i USED to be a web designer. but had to get a management job in order to get a bigger pay check. now i want to go back to being a web designer

if i were permitted to get a career "reset" without having to sacrifice salary, i'd go for the following:
  1. Flash / Flex developer
  2. PHP / AJAX / JAVA developer
  3. Interface designer
  4. Digital Illustrator
Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you're going to look for a job in IT, you must secure a nitch. Something with low overhead, low supply, or high demand. Generally things in high demand get filled in a few years.. Web design for example, it used to be a good job, now everyone's a web designer.

So here's my list:

1. "indie" developer, android apps, java desktop apps

2. Security professional / Pen tester

3. Linux/Database adminsitrator

Those all have low overhead, require specialized training and will be in demand for a long time. Large companies tend to pay software developers very little. So, indie seems to be the way to go. The mobile market is picking up.

Security will become very big in the next year... Look at all the issues we've had this year with play toys like Sega and Playstation.

Suprisingly, if you're certified in Linux.... because noone really does that, you get paid alot more for services. Linux is known for its stable operation and driving web servers. This web site runs on linux. I know this because when I was training to become a security professional, I tested some methods on the site and found a back door which was reported immediately and taken care of by the site's staff.

Databases are becoming more common. Being able to work with them at the lowest levels is less common.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Also, I saw what I consider "the best way" to get a job in computers is to simply screen capture yourself performing tasks.. Setting up a VM, writing a simple app, setting up a database, installing linux or windows.. Adding a user to a network... that sort of thing.. Just upload them to youtube under your profile and you'll have a solid and free resume to show a potential employer who wants to know what you do.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Create a professional website laying out your personal projects, highlighting your unique skills, and allow it to be a living resume that links to said screenshots and youtube videos. Only post the most professional and accurate media.