Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

I lost my iPhone... Finally time to get an Android.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default I lost my iPhone... Finally time to get an Android.

So I am about 20 days from my upgrade date, and I lost my iPhone. So, now I get to pick out an android.

I set it on my spoiler. While I was driving, I heard a thud after about three miles of driving. I was like that's wierd... and I checked for my phone. I realized I did not have it. So I turned around and went to look for it slowly.. I traced my route all the way back. After a while I looked at the back of my car and saw in the bit of dust, the thud was the phone landing on the car, not falling off. So my phone ended up somewhere along the 3 mile stretch of road, not where I though it was, but it fell off while I was looking for it.

So, Now I've got to pick out an Android phone with AT&T service quickly. I will be developing apps for the Android so jailbreaking is important to me for debugging and testing purposes.

Here is my number 1 choice... Samsung Captivate

It seems like the all-around best processor with ease of use and jail-break-ability.

http://www.google.co...ed=0CGAQ8wIwAA#

2. HTC aria

This phone is quite a bit smaller then the Captivate. It seems like it must have a bigger batter though.

http://www.google.co...ed=0CHoQ8wIwAQ#

3. motorola backflip

I don't know much about this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've never seen one in person. I hear it's a decent phone.

http://www.wireless...._sku=sku4380305

4. Motorola bravo

This one seems small but it has a pretty good size battery

http://www.wireless...._sku=sku4980438

Any other suggestions I should look at while I'm in the AT&T store?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 PM
DTN

I should add a link to the AT&T store http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...WT.svl=graphic

Money is not an issue here. I am only limited by availability... I will be buying a phone tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

galaxy S phones (captivate) are really nice. I have the Epic, from sprint.. love it..

the galaxy S phones have an incredible screen, and gorilla glass!!! The super AMOLED screen looks better than any other phone that I have seen.

The hummingbird processor in the galaxy S phones are supposed to be faster than the other 1Ghz processors also.

The galaxy S phones are also very simple to one click root.

also, if your worried about battery, but not to worried about thickness, seidio makes some awesome products for the galaxy S phones such as the rugged case, innocases and a 3300mah battery with replacement (thicker) back. OEM battery is 1500mah.

big battery
Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

I played with a backflip at the store when I upgraded.......hated it! I just don't like the fact that the keypad is always on the outside, as is the screen. Seems like certain death waiting to happen!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

For those with an external keyboard, I was surprised at the requirement for the keyboard to be open for it to rotate. Maybe not all applications do that and it depends on programming.

My dad's Samsung Epic (same as Socks) has a great screen, colors, and brightness, but again - the physical keyboard bothered me.

I love my HTC Evo. I don't know what the AT&T equivalent is (Aria maybe? no kick stand tho)

Since you're rooting the phone and maybe wiping it clean, you can put any mod you want on there and software may become a moot point, so look into the hardware and see what you like (screen, camera features, hardware keyboard, size/feel)

Are you happy with AT&T? Seems like a good opportunity to switch carriers if you wanted to. Sprint FTW
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you should get the HTC surround, it's sweet, I love mine.

... :biggrin: , DTN with a windows phone would be great.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I love my HTC Incredible, dunno what that is on AT&T.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 AM
DTN

I got a samsung captivate. It's a great phone, with the exception of the AT&T bloatware which I will find a way to remove. I've got to break AT&T's security before I can remove some of the redundant / useless apps like AT&T maps, which is a paid and less functional version of Android Navigate (also included on the phone).

It ended up costing about $500. I have a Otterbox defender series case on order, as well as 2 additonal usb cables and 6 anti-glare screen protectors. I think it was a very solid purchase.

So my insurance plan is to have it in a water/shock/run-over proof case as well as have a tracking service to cover for loss of the phone. I messed up last time by not having a tracking service. The phone was operable, but lost over a 2 mile stretch of road. I ran it out of battery by calling and listening for it. If I had a tracking service, I would still have my old phone.

I'm looking for a free phone tracking service. I know there's a bunch out there... Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

check the app store, I'm sure there's an app in there somewhere. Some providers offer GPS features online for tracking family/children.

Find My Phone by GTMedia has a free app. 4 of 5 stars and has a "Wipe" feature for the SD card

Wheres My Droid by alienmanfc6 also has a GPS via email feature with 4.5 out of 5
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Originally Posted by DTN
I got a samsung captivate. It's a great phone, with the exception of the AT&T bloatware which I will find a way to remove. I've got to break AT&T's security before I can remove some of the redundant / useless apps like AT&T maps, which is a paid and less functional version of Android Navigate (also included on the phone).

It ended up costing about $500. I have a Otterbox defender series case on order, as well as 2 additonal usb cables and 6 anti-glare screen protectors. I think it was a very solid purchase.

So my insurance plan is to have it in a water/shock/run-over proof case as well as have a tracking service to cover for loss of the phone. I messed up last time by not having a tracking service. The phone was operable, but lost over a 2 mile stretch of road. I ran it out of battery by calling and listening for it. If I had a tracking service, I would still have my old phone.

I'm looking for a free phone tracking service. I know there's a bunch out there... Any suggestions?

there is a one click root (i think) for the captivate, should be similar to the epic. In the one click root options, there is a SDX stock app remover. you can totally remove or back them up and remove. I usually back up and remove them in case I ever want them for some reason. The backup works great too. I accidently deleted the 'buddies now' widget, and when i restored it, it popped right back up with all my settings i had.

otterbox's are nice, but i still prefer seidios active X or rugged.

the anti glare protectors, let me know how well they prevent glare. I'm not worried about my screen really because its gorilla glass, but if i had something on there that i couldn't tell was there for glare, that would be nice.

I havent used it yet, but the 'missing device' which is through Lookout security premium seems like it has a lot of features.

Lookout provides virus protection, online backup of whatever you select (pictures, call logs, contacts, etc.) privacy advisor and the missing device.

Through missing device, you can locate your phone through the GPS or if you know its nearby have it ring/scream REALLY loud. With the premium (i use the free version) you can remotely lock and/or wipe out all the data in your phone.